Chapter 12

I wake up the next morning and all I want to do is go back to sleep. I feel completely numb. It's as if everything that's happened in such a short amount of time has drained me to the point where I can't feel emotion anymore.

The only thing motivating me to get up is my growling stomach.

I throw my legs over the side of the bed and slump down the stairs. I see mom on the phone. She seems to be on the listening end of whatever this conversation is for quite a while. I pour myself some apple juice while trying to pick up some of the words coming from the other end of the line. I can't make anything out at all.

Mom heaves a heavy sigh, says thank you, and hangs up.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"Lacy's doctor," she sighs.

"What'd... What'd he have to say?" I ask hesitantly. I'm not in the mood for news... Bad or good.

This is the weirdest mood I've ever been in.

"Well he threw a bunch of medical mumbo jumbo at me," she says offering me a weak smile.

Then more solemnly,

"But he doesn't sound optimistic."

I stare into my cup.

Nope, no no no no. I'm not crying today I've had enough of that.

"I'm gonna take a walk," I mumble.

"Hon, if you want to go see Lacy, we're all going once the twins get back from basketball," mom says.

"I won't go that far. I'm going to see a friend."

And I'm out the door before she can interrogate me any further.

     ____________________

Today, I find Genevieve just sitting and staring into the distance.

"Hey," I awkwardly greet her.

"Oh hey!" she exclaims turning to face me.

"How are you?" she asks.

I shrug and sit down next to her.

"Genevieve how often have you been seeing Lacy?" I ask.

"I try to go at least every other day," she responds.

"To see her, and the other kids."

"Why does that make you happy?" I ask, sounding almost disgusted.

"All the kids there are... Dying..."

The last word catches in my throat.

There's silence for a moment. Then I hear,

"I feel like it gives them something to look forward to. Especially Lacy since before yesterday, not even any family could visit her."

I stare at my hands.

"But you're only going to lose them," I whisper.

"Bridget," Genevieve says, almost sharply.

My head snaps up to look at her.

"You can't give up on the hope that she'll get better. I've seen plenty of kids leave that hospital healthy and happy."

My eyes spill over with tears before I can stop them. I want to believe that Lacy's home right now, never having been kidnapped, never condemned to a hospital bed...

"She said you taught her to be thankful she's sick," I accuse.

She shrugs.

"She may have never seen you again otherwise."

A pause. Then she talks again.

"God works in mysterious ways, Bridget. I don't believe He'd take her away from you now. But then again... Well I don't know the future," she says as gently as possible.

"Did you teach her about Jesus?" I ask.

Genevieve nods. Then suddenly an anxious look crosses her face.

"Why do you ask?"

I sigh.

"My family wasn't exactly raised that way."

Genevieve runs her hand through her hair. I glance at the ground then back up at her.

"But... Do you think you could teach me about Him too sometime?"

She smiles the most enthusiastic smile I've ever seen on her- which is saying something.

"I'd love to!" she agrees.

I'm ready to go back home- before I get in trouble again. But then I decide I need one more answer.

"Genevieve?" I say cautiously.

"Hmm?"

"Lacy told us you took her to a foster home so she had someone to care for her... Why didn't you go with her?"

She stands up slowly and kicks at the dirt.

"It would never feel like the home I had before," she said. Then she laughs weakly.

"I know I'm a stupid wimp. But I've always kinda been a nature girl anyway. Everything in that foster home is kinda... Strict. They let you play and stuff but there's so many kids to keep track of that you never see kids outside."

She sighs.

"I don't know... Maybe one day I'll get my head on straight and realize I should have a roof over my head."

I let out a chuckle and shrug.

"You wouldn't have been able to get Lacy there if you were stuck inside."

She smiles at this. I smile back, wave, and start for home.

I'm about to turn onto the walkway leading to my house when I hear running behind me and someone calling my name. I turn around to find Natalie, with tear stained cheeks rushing up to me.

"Natalie??? Natalie what happened?" I panic.

"I can't take it anymore Bridget, I can't TAKE it!" she sobs.

"Take what???" I push.

But she just wraps her arms around me and cries in my shoulder.

I can't take much more of this either, Natalie, I think.

I can hardly comprehend everything happening....

I hug her back, hoping beyond hope that whatever it is that's making her crazy, is something small like... school stress.