Chapter 41

I decide that going to school is better than sitting around doing nothing. Megan eventually caves too, feeling bad for even arguing with Mom in the first place. She doesn't walk with me though; she's taking Liam to his grade school first.

When I get to where Natalie and I usually meet, she's not there. I wait the usual ten minutes, but she still doesn't arrive. I shrug to myself and start making the walk alone, guessing that she just left, not expecting me to be back today.

When I get to Q street I stop for a moment, and stare at the light post that Genevieve usually hangs out by. It seems so empty without the little girl to dance around it and add some sort of... Color to the everyday drab of city life.
I sigh and continue on my way to school, mentally preparing to be bombarded with questions from everyone in school about Lacy.

Sure enough, right as I'm about to enter the school doors, I hear someone call my name from behind me. I turn around to find one of the girls from my class whom I've hardly ever said a word to in my life. Her backpack bounces against her back as she jogs to catch up with me.

She stops and runs a hand through her short blonde hair.

I wait patiently for her to start talking as she just stands there, looking at everything and everyone but me. Finally her eyes find mine and she blows a long breath through her lips.

"I... I'm so sorry," she stutters, awkwardly placing a hand on my shoulder.

I mentally groan, not at her, but at the fact that I may have to explain the story about fifteen thousand times today.

I search for the quickest way to explain that Lacy is ok.

"Oh don't be!" I start, just as the girl is about to remove herself from my awkward presence.

She looks at me like I just killed a thousand puppies. Her facial expression is actually hilarious and I find myself laughing a little, which only makes her more confused and horrified.

"She's ok!" I explain before she reports me as insane.

"Oh!" she exclaims, "Ohhhhh!" And before either of us know it, we're both guffawing like idiots. A couple of people pass and give us funny looks that seem to say, "Isn't that the kid who literally just lost her sister to cancer... Laughing?"

As we regain composure, the air between us becomes awkward again.

"Well," she chirps, "I... Uhh... I'm so happy to hear that! See ya around!"

I give a little wave to her retreating figure and sigh. Strolling inside, I get many a sympathetic look. Geez. The attention is already too much for me.

"BRIDGET CLARISSA TOLIA!!!!"

I laugh at Natalie who's flying towards me like I was the one who just got a kidney transplant. Katrina follows not far. I feel bad watching her try to push herself down the hall, but she's grinning from ear to ear. I'm guessing Natalie's already told her everything she knows.

"Thanks Nat!" I call sarcastically, "Now everyone from here to Timbuktu knows my middle name!"

"Who the heck cares?" she replies as she reaches me. I'm immediately in her arms and I think she's about ready to bawl... Right on my shoulder... In the middle of the school hallway.