Chapter 29

I guess I expected accepting God to bring some rush of... Something on me. I thought it meant I'd have to change who I was. But the truth is, the next day, I was still Bridget. Something in me just felt... Fuller.

The rest of our week in Hawaii flew by and before we knew it, we were back on the plane, headed home. I was scared out of my wits in all honesty. Scared to go back home and face the reality of our town, must likely still a pile of debris.

     ______________________

I made sure to get a seat next to Lacy on the plane. Once every was seated and we were well on our way, I leaned in and told her that I was ready to become a Christian.

She grinned, giddy with joy and I could tell it was all she could do to keep herself from announcing this to everyone on the plane.

I smiled and said, "Here's the thing though. I still have a lot to learn and could use your help."

She shrugged. "Ask Genny. She's better at explaining."

I smile remembering Genevieve and am suddenly very anxious to see her. I remembered I still didn't know what condition the hospital was in after the tornado. I think that it is a sturdy building and hope for all the kids' sake... And Lacy's... That it was still standing.

     ______________________

By the time we are home it is 3:00 in the afternoon. Everyone looks out on the town, examining the progress made. It actually doesn't look terrible. All the debris from completely crushed houses has been cleared and skeletons for new houses are already being put up.

Once we are at our house and have said our goodbyes to Natalie, I immediately tell announce thus I'm going on a walk.

Ben laughs and teases, "Had enough time with family I see?"

I sarcastically roll my eyes at him and run out the door.

When I reach Genevieve I find she's not alone. She's holding a little boy in her lap.

"Hey Gen!" I greet her.

"Who's this?"

"Austin," she replies with a sad smile.

"Hey Austin!" I say, too afraid to ask about his circumstances.

He looks up at me with big green eyes and attempts a wave.

I stand next to them awkwardly for a second before asking, "Is now a bad time...?"

"Oh no!" Genevieve insists, patting the ground next to her.

I sit.

"I missed you! And I have to tell you something," I start.

"What?" she prompts.

"I... I believe in God now," I say.

I swear I see Austin give that comment a sideways glance while Genevieve exclaims,

"Oh! Oh that's awesome!"

I smile and say, "Yeah but I'm gonna need your help figuring out what that means for my life."

She nods.

"I can help. But I don't claim to have all the answers."

I laugh light-heartedly. I'm considering asking how she knows Austin when my phone rings.

I swear I blush a little, feeling like some snotty rich girl in front of Gen for some reason. But it's Michelle I've got to answer it.

"Yepers?" I answer after a muttered apology to Genevieve. I hear cries in the background and the sound of someone crying.

"Bridget? Bridget can you meet us at the hospital?" she asks frantically.

All the color drains from my face.

"What? Why?"

I wait for some sarcastic remark that would tell me Michelle is herself and everything is fine. But all she says is...

"It's Lacy."