Chapter 44

I didn't know what reaction I expected but this was not it.

By the look on Mom's face, you wouldn't be able to guess that I just suggested something so... So big and unexpected. One of her eyebrows goes up nonchalantly and she licks her lips. I lick my own lips nervously and give her a stare with big, questioning and frankly, begging eyes.

"Well, um..." she stammers, knitting her eyebrows together.

"I know it'd be crazy and... Crazy but... Mom..."

Mom rubs the bridge of her nose. Then, she laughs a little awkwardly.

"I don't know what to say to that, in all honesty. With everything that's already been going on, I just... I don't know."

I purse my lips together and look down at my hands. I feel Mom's gaze land on me sympathetically.

"I do hate the thought of that precious girl out on the street..." she thinks aloud.

I glance up at her. She offers me a smile.

"That's a really, really sweet thought honey," she says. "What do you know of her biological family?"

"Nada," I admit. "Just that they... They're not around anymore. I don't push the topic with Gen cause it's a touchy one for her, obviously."

Mom sits there, thinking and thinking.

"Well... I don't Bridget, this is kinda sudden..."

"I know Mom but, Mom she already feels like a sister to me and she deserves more than the world's given her and-"

"I'll talk to your father," she interrupts.

I sigh deeply. A classic answer. But obviously Dad does need to have a say in this.

"K," I mutter before going to grab my backpack from the entryway. I sling one of the straps over my shoulder and hike towards the stairs, not sure what Mom's response means.

Is she seriously considering it? Did she just want me off her back?

I'm at the base of the stairs, ready to go to my room to do my thinking when my mom calls, "Bridget?"

I turn my head so she knows I heard, my hand still on the banister.

"I'll... Try to convince Dad that we should... We really should give her a home."

My lips curl into a smile and then my mouth opens to reveal my toothy grin. I bounce a little in place before bounding up the stairs. As I rush past the twins' room, I barely catch their curious glances. Michelle calls, "What the heck is up with you?"

I laugh to myself as I reach the entry way to my room, chucking my backpack under my desk before flinging myself into my chair. With the grin still plastered on my face, I imagine what Lacy's reaction will be when she finds out Gen will be an official member of our family.

If she becomes part of the family, I remind myself, reluctantly coming down from cloud nine.

If Dad agrees. And if... Gen agrees.

I suddenly remember Genevieve's words. That she'd have to think and pray on it. That living in a house again would be... Weird.

Is it the fact that she'd have a pillow to lay her head on that... Scared her?

Or... Is it the fact that under this roof, wouldn't be the family she was truly born a member of?

______________________

If Wednesday was slow, Thursday is going tremendously slower.