Chapter 21

All of a sudden, I wonder something.

"How long have I been gone?"

Michelle pulls out her phone.

"Four hours... Four stupid hours," she says.

I'm shocked. I must've been unconscious for a while. For a while I stand there and marvel at the fact that I'm alive and home with my family; all of whom are devoid of a single bruise.

I wonder briefly if I should thank a God or luck.

I look around at my family. Michelle is still a mix of overfilled with joy for me being a life and angry at me for being an "idiot."

Everyone has laid off me about why I left for now. Except, of course, for good ole Michelle.

So, I vaguely tell them all that I was worried about someone whom I wasn't sure was safe from the storm.

To which Megan exclaims,

"You're so brave!"

And Michelle mumbles,

"Brave or totally insane..."

This earns her a punch in the arm from Ben.

I just laugh. I'm hoping they'll all get to meet Genevieve soon.

Mom, Dad, and Lacy are silent and seem to be contemplating what I'd just told them.

After a while, the whole lot of us slowly walk into our house. We stay on the main floor though. The place where the tree fell has demolished the part of the house where my room was. Thankfully, it didn't make it through the rest of the floors.

I honestly couldn't care any less that all my stuff was crushed by a tree. I am still so happy to see my family wasn't hurt and to be alive myself.

I try not to worry about what we're going to do about the damage on top of the medical bills. I'm sure those got transferred to us from the foster home or whoever was covering the cost for Lacy's care.

Mom's panicking. She mumbles something about how we shouldn't be in here and should go find a different place to sleep for the night. Dad just laughs at her and puts his arm over her shoulders. They go off someplace to chat.

I suddenly remember Natalie and Katrina and panic. I reach into the pocket in my shorts, but my phone is gone. It must've fallen somewhere between my running and yelling. And being knocked out by a log.

So, I charge for the home phone and try desperately to remember what Natalie's number is.

After a solid ten minutes of thinking, I remember, and dial it- And vow to write everyone's number down from now on.

There's no answer.

I try not to start hyperventilating, telling myself It's fine, she might not have her phone nearby.

Knowing Natalie though, it's hard for me to convince myself that her phone is any more than two feet away from her.

I press dial again and wait.

Nothing.

I suddenly felt very dizzy. The world spins for a second. I lean against the counter.

I need to stop fearing the worst. I need to stop fearing the worst. I NEED to STOP.

My migraine is coming back too. Megan glances over at me, concerned.

"Bridge, you feeling ok?"

I shake my head slowly. Megan and Ben start walking towards me.

I look up at them, trying to sort through everything.

My family was safe. And I was extremely happy, to say the least. But there were still so many others... And where on earth did Genevieve go?

My brain couldn't take all of it. Between Lacy's cancer, Mark's depression, my traumatic experience of being outside in a tornado, and Natalie not answering my calls, I felt like I couldn't take anything anymore.

I feel like it's ridiculous of me to think that just because Natalie won't pick up the phone, she's in the hospital hurt or worse... She didn't make it.

But paranoid, pessimistic me, is assuming the worst.

"I have to go to Natalie's," I say, trying to sound bold but coming off extremely weak.

Ben and Megan look worried.

"You're not looking great Bridget..." Ben observes.

"I have to be sure she's ok!" I demand.

Ben looks about ready to protest but Megan holds up her hand.

"I'll take you," she offers.

Then to Ben,

"She'll be fine! And I'll be there to get her help if she isn't."

So Ben, reluctantly, backs off.

Megan and I stroll out the front door and head in the direction of Natalie's house.  The closer we get, the more severely damaged everything seems. And then we get to her street.

There are police men and fire trucks everywhere. I start to pant heavily and start fighting the tears.

I've spilt too many of those lately...

I start sprinting. Megan calls after me and before I get to far, I have to stop. I'm feeling dizzy again...

I trip around and nearly faint but Megan's there to hold me up.

Her face tells me she's beginning to think this was a bad idea. That's when I see... Genevieve! What on earth is she doing here??? I have a grin on my face but it's slapped off me when I realize where I am.

In front of a pile of debris. Police and firemen surrounding it barking orders at each other.

All where Natalie's house used to stand.

My knees go weak. And I faintly hear Megan scream my name and barely catch Genevieve's face quickly snapping in my direction before I tumble into darkness for the second time in a day.