Chapter 3

Chat Noir patrolled the streets, a bit distracted.

He pointedly avoided a certain neighborhood because he was in no condition to run into Ms. Marinette Dupain-Cheng. He still felt so awkward around her and he couldn't really put his finger on why.

He really wanted to believe it was absolutely not possible that he had feelings for her.

Crash.

He sighed in exasperation. Another akuma attack, no doubt. He dashed towards the crashing noise, going towards where was coming from.

He jumped down from the roofs and landed on the sidewalk.

Ladybug had her yo-yo around the torso of what seemed to be an akumatized person. His costume was multiple shades of green. Ladybug was struggling to pull him down, and he seemed to be...growing thicker?

"Chat Noir! Knock him out!" Ladybug called. Chat ran quickly and aimed for his head, but the man ducked and tried to attack. The man fell over with the momentum of his failed attack.

"Grab the necklace while he's down!" Ladybug added. Chat followed his orders and pulled off the necklace.

He threw it at Ladybug, who smashed it under her feet. She quickly cleaned the akuma and set it free.

Chat grinned and walked back over to her. She sighed, then smiled back stiffly.

"Mission accomplished," they said in unison.

"Miniature mission anyway," Chat stated. "You okay, my Lady?"

She nodded, still stiff. "Bye, kitty." She extended her weapon and swung away.

"Ladybug?" he called. He looked up in confusion. Why was she so quick to leave?

Adrien yawned loudly in the back of the car, resting his head against the window.

"Mr. Agreste. We're here."

Adrien sighed, getting out of the car. He mumbled a sleepy thank-you before stumbling out of the car.

"Didn't get much sleep?"

Adrien turned to look at her. "No, not really. Too much on my mind I think...I haven't slept well for days." Proving his point, he yawned again.

Alya snorted. "I understand, trust me." Her expression grew serious. "But aside from sleep, you've been out of it lately. Is everything okay? You literally stammer and make stupid excuses more than you speak."

Adrien spluttered, but couldn't deny it. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Great." he finally forced out.

"You don't seem fine. Especially when-"

"Thanks for waiting Alya!"

Adrien froze. Alya stared pointedly at him with a raised eyebrow. He attempted to muffle a choking sound behind his hand.

"G-Good morning, Adrien!" Marinette said with a tinge of nervousness. She raised a hand for a small wave and blushed.

Adrien nodded. "H-Hi, Marinette. Good to see you. We should go to class," And with that, he rushed inside the building. He mentally hit himself as he ran to his locker and hid behind the locker door.

He heard them approaching. "What exactly did you do to him?" he heard Alya say.

"I-I...I don't know. Ugh...I'm such an idiot...do you think he hates me? I think he hates me. Why can't I ever do anything right?"

Adrien's jaw dropped in dismay. I definitely didn't mean for her to think that. I am the absolute worst.

Adrien glanced towards them. Alya was putting things in her locker, but Marinette was staring at the floor in distress.

I have to make this right somehow. Maybe it's time Chat Noir visits her again.

He did just that.

He hopped onto the roof of her bakery, steeling his nerves. To his astonishment, she was already there. She was lying down, staring at the sky.

"Hi, princess."

She sat up. "Chat Noir, it's been a while. Got sick of me?"

Chat winced. "No, no. Of course not. I've been busy."

"I'm sure," she muttered, lying back down. "Everyone seems to be sick of me these days. Quite frankly I don't know how to do anything."

Chat sighed and sat next to her. "What do you mean? You're wonderful. I'm not just saying that."

"I somehow made Adrien hate me. How, I have no idea. I have a talent for messing up when it counts," she replied. He could feel the anguish in her voice, and it broke his heart.

"There's no way that's true. Maybe something came up and he needs time."

"And I'm more than happy to give him time! But if he hates me, what do I do? Should I...just give up? Move on? I have other things to focus on. Maybe it's time..."

Chat felt pain strike through his heart. "Oh Marinette, don't say that." He looked over at her. She had covered her eyes with a hand as tears ran down her face.

"I just don't know anymore! My life is such a mess and I'm so useless as plain, boring old Marinette Dupain-Cheng. No one wants a girl like me, Chat." Sobs interrupted her words. His first instinct was to run before he said something to make it worse, to make her cry harder, to hurt her again. But he knew he couldn't do that.

"Marinette you know you're amazing, right?"

"I'm not...I-I just...I'm n-not."

"I want to make things right." Chat's resolve grew. Adrien's resolve grew. After all, they were one and the same. No matter how different he acted, he was still the same. His feelings were unchanged no matter which persona he was.

"What do...do you mean?" Her sobs had quieted to gentle sniffles. She sat up slowly to look at him.

"I will be here for you, one way or another. I don't want you to feel alone, or to feel upset anymore. I'm sorry I was avoiding you, that I was a coward. I promise you this: I will be here for you."

"Wh-What are you talking about?" Marinette looked at him, confused. He wasn't sure how to explain it without revealing his identity, honestly.

"I don't really know how to tell you this, but I really do care for you. Seeing you heartbroken has been awful, really awful. I want to keep that from happening again. You deserve better than Adrien..." He paused, but forced himself to keep talking. "...better than him, if he hurts you."

Marinette's lip quivered. She then cried again, sobs racking her body. She threw her arms around his shoulders. He pulled her close and hugged her back.

He didn't let her go until she stopped shaking.