Chapter 10

Oh no.

Marinette shrunk. "She...she...I didn't know..." Adrien looked frantically at her, watching her eyes fill with tears.

"D-Don't worry!" Adrien freaked out. She's going to be so mad I invited someone besides her this year.

Especially because it's Marinette.

"Chloe was coming?" Marinette bit her lip. "Chloe is here." Adrien wanted to give her a hug, she looked like she definitely wanted to cry.

"If you want to leave, I understand." Adrien comforted her. "I can take you home."

Marinette shook her head. "It would be rude," she murmured. "Not to mention...my parents would want to know why I came back so early..."

"Marinette..."

They sat down, Marinette hiding her face.

"Adrien! You came without me?!"

Adrien winced, standing up. "Sorry Chloe, I thought you were away."

"But of course I would be back for the Christmas Eve dinner! My dad is hosting the event." she glared slightly at him. Then she laughed. "Oh, I can never stay mad at you for very long." She threw her arms around his neck, effectively choking him.

"Chlo...let...go..." Adrien tried to pry her arms off his neck. She let go, looking murderous.

"You invited her?!" she roared.

Marinette looked at her hands. "Chloe, please. Don't freak-" Adrien started.

"Don't 'Chloe, please' me! You invited that...that...whatever to a fancy Christmas Eve party that you take me to every year! How could you!" she pouted angrily.

Adrien couldn't believe her. Honestly, it was the first time she had ever openly bullied Marinette in front of him. And he would not stand for it. "Chloe, stop right now. Marinette is just as entitled as you to be here and she is at least being polite and you couldn't understand if you wanted to. If you are going to continuously bully her, I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

Chloe spluttered. She scowled, but sat down at the table anyway. She remained silent.

Adrien sat back down and turned to Marinette, about to apologize. She was blushing with wide eyes and her mouth formed an "o". He couldn't help but flush once again. Why is she so freaking cute?

"Marinette?" he asked.

"Thank you," she breathed. "Thank you, Adrien."

In that moment, he literally had to stop himself from leaning over and kissing her. "Of course." he answered breathlessly.

He was prevented from doing something stupid when someone walked over. Adrien blinked and looked up to see the doorman from before.

"U-Uh hi," he stuttered. "I-I have a break now and I was wondering if you wanted to dance?" He gazed hopefully at Marinette.

Marinette reddened further. "Oh, I...um, I-"

"Really," Chloe snapped. "Really, truly? It's bad enough commoners are here, the staff thinks they can do whatever they please? This is a party for high class, not workers without class at all. Even this loser has more tact than you."

"Chloe!" Adrien gasped.

"I am so, so sorry for her. I swear that's not-" Marinette told the man hurriedly.

The doorman growled. "No, it's not a problem. I know when I am unwanted." He turned on his heel and walked away.

"Wait!" Marinette stood up. She glared at Chloe. "Say what you want about me, but that was uncalled for!"