Chapter 16

Adrien, if you don't get off me right now I will use the yarn."

Adrien blanched at her. "Why?! It's so comfortable..." he whined.

Marinette glared at him. "I am exhausted. It is six am on a Sunday and we had a late patrol. I want to sleep."

"I won't bother you," he pouted. Marinette sighed, putting her head back down and snuggling into the pillow. He wrapped his arm around her torso and snuggled into her hair. She relaxed and felt herself sink into his grasp.

When she opened her eyes again, it was almost nine. She shot out of bed, waking Adrien up in the process.

She hurried to get ready, fixing her hair and changing in the bathroom. When she was ready, she hopped out and stopped in front of Adrien.

"You okay, princess?" Adrien murmured drowsily. Marinette smiled.

"Yeah, I have to work downstairs. You can stay here if you want."

"Okay...I'll come in from downstairs." he told her. Marinette tilted her head in confusion, but pushed the thoughts away. She was going to be late to help her parents if she didn't dash down right away.

With a quick greeting, Marinette put on her apron and immediately started baking with her dad. They had plenty of orders to go through before noon, when Marinette could finally go and spend some time with Alya.

Her hands moved on their own. She helped mix and grab ingredients from all sides of the kitchen, wiping away the flour on her forehead with an equally flour-covered sleeve. As her father put the bread in the oven, the kitchen started to smell like baking yeast, almost sugary.

She had to close a blind as time passed, the sun getting brighter by the hour. She switched to decorating pastries, moving carefully and slowly.

The door chimes jingled every once in a while, and Sabine took care of the orders. When Marinette heard her mother approaching, she understood what Adrien had meant.

"Marinette, shall we switch spots?" her mother asked with a knowing smile. Marinette blushed slightly and nodded, wiping her hands on her apron.

She glanced at herself before walking out and greeting Adrien, who rested casually against the counter. She hurried over to him with a bright smile.

"Good morning," she told him. He grinned at her, leaning in close.

"Good morning, princess." he responded. She pecked him on the lips quickly before grabbing a towel to clean the counter.

"Anything I can do for you?" she asked, almost mischievously. He thought about it, tapping a finger against his chin. His grin only widened further.

"Another kiss, please. How much?" he replied.

Marinette laughed. She kissed him again, placing a hand on his cheek and leaning over the counter. When she pulled away, she giggled again. "It's absolutely free," she whispered in response.

The door chimes rang. Marinette stepped away and looked towards the door. Nathaneal walked in, face half covered by his hair. She waved towards him, smiling brightly.

"Good morning, Nathaneal! How can I help you?" she asked.

"A loaf of sourdough, please." he responded quietly, pulling out his wallet. Marinette rang him up, Adrien watching from the side. Marinette grabbed a loaf from the back, wrapped it, and handed it to him.

"Have a nice day," she responded. "See you tomorrow!"

He nodded, looking away as he grasped the bread. Marinette tilted her head in confusion, but eventually looked at her feet. The door chimed as Nathaneal hastily retreated out the door.