Chapter 20

Adrien got out of the car, walking inside. His eyes were sore with lack of sleep, as he had spent the night before tossing and turning and thinking about what Marinette had told him.

You can't forget that we're not invincible. He died, Adrien. The Chat Noir before you died.

Though it really hurt him to hear that, knowing how much it must've hurt Sabine and hurt Marinette to find out, he felt even more fierce about protecting his Lady. The thought of her getting injured scared him, and he couldn't let that happen.

They were a powerful team, but he remembered that they weren't invincible. Even with her powers of creation.

He walked towards the classroom, noticing Nathaneal and Marinette inside. He glanced in, but didn't walk in so he could hear what they were saying.

"Adrien talked to me, and I promised to talk to you."

"Sure, Nathaneal. What's up?"

"I'm not mad about the Evillistrator thing, and I'm not mad at you." He paused. "The issue was mainly that I still liked you, though you're with Adrien. I do still want to be friends though, and I'm moving on. You both are really good together."

"Oh!" Marinette paused too, and Adrien could picture her surprised expression from outside the door. "I'm really flattered, and I'm grateful to be friends. You're really awesome, Nath."

"Thanks, Marinette."

Adrien walked inside then, smiling at the two of them. "Good morning," he greeted. Nathaneal gave him a little wave, before walking up to his seat. Marinette smiled at him, her eyes slightly red from the night before. He could still hear her crying, begging for him to stay safe. He brought her hand up to his lips, feather light against her knuckles. He heard her hum gently.

There wasn't much else to be said, and Adrien knew they both felt the same. I love you. I want to protect you. I want to be by your side. And though he was constantly worried that something could go wrong, he loved the feeling of being with her.

They took their seats and took out their things, the quiet classroom starting to buzz with activity as people started to come in. Adrien saw Alya come in, waving to her with a bright smile.

"So, how did it go yesterday? Since you deprivedme of details?" Marinette teased the girl.

"Oh stop it. Are you and Adrien okay? The fight looked pretty bad from the clips I got sent."

"We're okay. We're okay now," Adrien replied for her. Marinette and Alya shared a gentle smile, both with tinged with slight worry.

Nino walked in soon after, waving to the three of them.

"Come on, when is date two happening?" Marinette pressed, nudging Alya. The girl refused to comment. "Tomorrow? Today?"

Adrien raised as eyebrow towards Nino, but the boy in question just grinned. "Is it today?" Adrien asked.

"Maybe," Nino replied, just slightly sing-songy.

"Oh it totally is!" Marinette exclaimed. Adrien laughed as Nino looked up at Alya, who giggled and nodded. Marinette looked ecstatic to see her friend confirming the success of the date. Adrien grinned at her, and she quickly wrote a note and gave it to him.

We need to spy on them.

Are you sure that's a good idea? he wrote back.

Not the entire thing, I just need some details to put in my document.

Do I want to know what that means?

Marinette grinned back at him, shaking her head.

"Passing love notes?" Nino teased the couple.

"Something like that," Adrien laughed, sticking his tongue out at Nino.

"When's your date?" Marinette asked. "After school?"

"We're going to the café down the street for lunch." Alya replied.

"Cool," Adrien said, sharing a devious look with his girlfriend. Her eyes were twinkling.

Adrien chuckled as he watched his girlfriend "very subtly" duck behind buildings as the two of them followed Alya and Nino. He was used to wearing disguises in public, so the thick sunglasses and overcoat weren't out of the ordinary.

Marinette, on the other hand, looked pretty funny. She kept having to push her sunglasses up, and even though her hair was out of her typical pigtails, it was difficult to ignore the raven shade of it. That, and her far-too-large coat that almost went to her knees. Adrien couldn't help but love how adorable she looked, still.

Alya and Nino were walking together, and Adrien couldn't make out what they were saying. They were very close together, which Adrien found adorable as well, not to mention how Nino kept turning to Alya as she looked ahead, eyes lingering on her.

Adrien knew Nino liked Alya a lot, and he was honestly really happy they were finally together.

"Ah! They're going inside!" Marinette whispered, eyes wide.

"Shall we, my Lady?" Adrien extended his hand to her, pulling off his sunglasses.

Marinette took his hand, smiling. "Are you turning our spying into a date?"

"Of course, what kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't do something smooth like that?"

"A normal one," she giggled. "but I like you like this." Leaning against him, the two of them walked into the same café Nino and Alya had.

Sitting facing each other, they fell into a comfortable silence. He searched her eyes for her feelings, knowing she could be broken behind her gentle smile. And he never wanted to let her feel like that, knowing how painful it is to be broken.

Yet, he also knew the power of being saved, since she had saved him.

It was his turn to return the favor. He would stay by her side and catch her before she even slipped. No matter what it took, no matter what kind of trouble they would go though, no matter how treacherous the future is, he would love her.

He saw her glance at a table across the café, a serene smile spreading across her lips. He followed her gaze, finding Nino and Alya holding hands, talking to each other with gentle smiles.

"Operation Alya and Nino seems to be a success," Adrien mused.

"I'm so happy for them," Marinette responded, quiet and content. He turned back to her, taking her hand and bringing it up to kiss it gently.

"Me too," he agreed.

"Alright, before class ends I'd like you all to choose your partners for the literature project. It's one of the last big projects for the year, so make it count!"

Adrien turned, considering partnering with his regular partner. She smiled down at him.

"Also, Chloe and Sabrina, you must split up. Everyone else has worked with two or more people, and it's time for you to work with others."

Adrien looked over to see the two girls looking very distraught. He looked back up at his girlfriend, and they both nodded simultaneously. Adrien raised his hand to work with Chloe, but before he could offer, he heard Marinette speak.

"Madame? May I work with Chloe?"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A/N from real author:Sorry about this chapter being short, but hey the wait was relatively short as well! 3rd to last
chapter ^_^