Chapter 7

Soon, but seemingly not soon enough, it was the end of the day on Friday. The students tapped their pencils anxiously, as the teacher got continuously more ticked off by the impatient tapping. Finally, class was over.

"Christmas break! Woo!" Kim shouted as he jumped over the table and ran out. A chorus of laughter followed behind him. Marinette grabbed her books and rushed out to her locker.

"Woah, slow down!" Alya called from a little behind her. "Why are you in such a rush?"

"I have to get home and help my parents so they'll let me go out shopping tonight," Marinette explained. "You're coming, right?"

Alya nodded with a smile. "I have a lot of cousins to buy presents for, I'll definitely come with you. Want to meet outside the mall?"

"Sounds good! See you Alya!" Marinette waved as she dashed out of school.

In doing so, she nearly slammed into people out on the steps. To not crash into them, she stepped to the side and missed a step. She definitely would have gone flying if not for arms quickly grabbing her from behind.

"Woah! Be careful!" Marinette's eyes widened and she blushed furiously.

"Sorry, Adrien." she muttered, straightening up. His arms were fixed gently around her waist, preventing her from falling.

"No worries, but slow down! You're going to get hurt." he told her. She turned around with a sheepish smile and he gently removed his arms.

"I know, I know." she said. "You're still coming on Tuesday for Christmas?" He nodded brightly.

"Definitely," he responded.

"Okay! See you on Tuesday." She waved to him as well before hurrying towards her home.

When she finally reached, she rushed to put her stuff away before running down to help her parents.

"Mari, you're in charge of the cookies. We have many, many orders so it may take a while!" her mom told her. Marinette forced herself not to sigh in exasperation.

Two hours later, she and her parents were still mixing, baking, and decorating and it seemed they wouldn't finish anytime soon. Marinette was freaking out internally as she went to text Alya that she would be very late.

The chime jingled, signaling someone entering the bakery. "Mari you're the most decent, can you go get he door?" her father asked. It was true, her father was covered in flour, and her mother's face was smeared with frosting. Marinette gave a nervous chuckle before running out to the front.

"Hi, welcome to Dupain bakery!" she said quickly, before checking who it was. Her friend waved at her. Marinette laughed. "Hi, Alya. I'm really sorry, you may have to go ahead without me. We're nowhere near finished." She gave Alya an apologetic smile.

"Oh, let me help out! Also, I brought friends who can help too." Marinette's eyes widened in surprise. Adrien and Nino walked in, chatting and laughing. Marinette turned back to Alya with a terrified gaze. Alya laughed. "Come on, boys. Let's help Marinette and her parents bake!"

Nino grinned. "Oh yes. Expect half to be eaten." Alya hit him on the back of his head with a roll of her eyes.

"Alya and Nino, you help papa bake. Adrien, you can help my mom and myself decorate." Marinette declared, a surge of confidence running through.

"Roger!" Alya said, and the four of them went into the back.

"Mama, I brought help!" Marinette called. Sabine turned to look, smiling brightly at the four of them.

"Good, good! Let's get these orders done quickly."

Alya and Nino quickly put on aprons and started mixing. Marinette took a rack of cookies and put them on the counter.

"Here, just decorate however you'd like." Marinette told Adrien. She refused to stammer or blush.

"Okay," he said with a nervous laugh.

They quickly finished decorating the racks, just as Marinette's father and friends efficiently mixed and baked.

Marinette giggled, looking at Adrien's creations. "Not bad," she told him. They were crudely drawn, but definitely not bad at all.

He gave her an anxious smile in return. In half an hour, they had finished with the orders.

"Thank you so much guys!" Marinette cried, cheering as they finished decorating the last bunch.

"So, we may have made an extra batch," her father told them mischeviously. "Go on, have some."

Nino looked in awe. "Mr. Dupain, you are my hero." he declared shamelessly. Alya hit him on the back of his head again with another roll of her eyes.

"Here, we can wash our hands first." Marinette said. They all washed up and went back out to eat Christmas cookies.

"Thank you mama, papa!" Marinette said, brightly. Adrien sat at the table, picking up a cookie. He took a careful bite, then gasped.

"These are amazing! Why haven't I had these yet?!" he yelped. Nino snickered.

"You're unlucky, my friend. These are the highlight of the holidays." he informed. Sabine's warm laughter echoed throughout the bakery. She and Tom went back into the kitchen.

Marinette sat next to him boldy. "I'm glad you like them," she said shyly.

Adrien grinned at her. He then turned to her parents, with a sad smile. "I wish my house could be like this for the holidays. It's so...warm. And lovely. I think coming to your house for Christmas will be absolutely wonderful."

Marinette beamed. "I'm happy you're coming," she told him honestly.

"You're lucky to have family like this, Marinette." he sighed.

Marinette looked carefully at him. "You know, Adrien..." She paused. "There are really two kinds of family. The one you are born with, and the one you choose."

Adrien gave her a questioning look. "What do you mean?"

"Well you have your dad, who is related by blood. But you also have the people you choose as family, like Nino, who you're so close with." Marinette explained. "You're right, I am lucky, because my parents are both part of my blood family and the family I have chosen for myself. And I have also chosen Alya..." She giggled. "...whether she likes it or not, to be my sister. You can choose who you consider your family too."

Adrien's eyes were wide with what seemed to be realization. Marinette flushed slightly, realizing how much she had said. Alya looked at her, smiling gently. Marinette grinned back at her.

"You don't have to look too far," Marinette added. "Your friends can be your family." She got up and slung an arm around Alya. The girls laughed together.

Nino put his arm on his shoulder. "I'd do anything for you, you know. We're friends."

Adrien nodded. His smile spread across his cheeks. "Same for you, Nino. Anytime, any place."

Marinette grinned at him. Christmas is going to be wonderful this year.