Chapter 4

Adrien got out of the car as soon as it stopped. He had tried to focus on schoolwork last night, but could only think of Marinette crying.

Once she had stopped crying, pulled away and smiled at him, she had gone inside. But he had waited by her window for a while afterwards.

He never wanted to see her depressed like that again, especially not because of him.

He walked up the steps slowly, listening for the sound of her voice. Sure enough, she and Alya talked as they made their way towards the school.

He turned to look at her. For an instant, he felt warmth spread across his cheeks and the urge to run. Then he thought of her crying, and remembered his goal.

"Good morning, Marinette, Alya." he said with a smile. Alya recoiled and stared at him, almost waiting for him to start stuttering again.

"Good morning, Adrien." Marinette responded gently. "How are you?"

"I am alright, you?"

"Same."

She didn't stammer for a second. He saw determination in her eyes and believed she must have a goal in mind too.

"Let's go inside," he added, and they walked in together.

Alya stood outside, staring at the doors with a dropped jaw. Nino walked over to her and nodded.

"Same here, Alya, same here."

At lunch, Marinette got up and walked out of the classroom. Alya didn't go with her.

"Where is she going?" Adrien asked, approaching Alya.

"She wants to go to the library, with her lunch. I'm going to stay here, but you should go with her." Alya's tone had a hint of amusement that he didn't really understand, but nodded anyway.

He went to the library where he saw Marinette reading. She giggled and whispered something as she was reading. Adrien walked over to her.

"What are you reading?"

Marinette jolted up with wide eyes. She quickly pushed her purse under the table as she turned to him. He chuckled nervously and shrugged.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he apologized.

Marinette took a breath. "No, no. It's...er...fine. Yeah. Um, hi?" She turned back to the book, no doubt with a blush spread across her cheeks. Adrien bit his lip. She was really adorable sometimes, though he didn't really want to admit it.

"Hi," he laughed. He sat across from her at the table. "So what are you reading then?"

"Oh, nothing much. Just a book on ancient treasures. What are you up to?"

"I just wanted to spend some time with you," he answered honestly. He glanced at the table and bit back the princess that was bound to leave his lips if not kept in check.

When he looked back at her, her eyes were widened and cheeks stained pink. She looked not only surprised but enraptured as well. Point for Adrien! he thought rather gleefully.

"That's...really sweet of you. Um, but I'm bad at making conversation and stuff..."

"Then I'll start," Adrien compromised. "What have you been up to lately?"

"Designing and baking mostly. You?"

"Studying and modeling. It's been busy."

"I heard." She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "You've been tired lately and stuff, it seemed like you were out of it."

You have no idea how accurate that is. "I guess..." They didn't say much for a while. Adrien shifted uncomfortably while Marinette played with the corners of the pages in her book.

"Hey you two!" Alya walked over and sat next to Marinette. "What's going on?" She then waggled her eyebrows suggestively, causing Marinette to flush in embarrassment.

"Alya!" she hissed.

"Teasing, teasing. But seriously, what's up?"

"Nothing much," Adrien responded. He glanced at Marinette's crimson red face and had to will himself not to blush too. Alya sighed.

"You both are boring."

"Hey you guys," Nino sat next to Adrien. "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing much," Alya said, snickering slightly. Marinette rolled her eyes and looked back down at her book. Adrien watched her eyes widen as she found something on the page. She quickly got up and rushed out.

"What was that about?" Nino asked. Alya shrugged in confusion.

Adrien muffled a groan behind his hand. So close, yet so far away.

Chat Noir ran over the rooftops, approaching the Dupain bakery. Marinette wasn't on the roof, so he ducked down to check in her window.

She wasn't there.

He frowned. Where could she be? Pretty much anywhere in Paris. He sighed. His staff pinged, signaling a call from Ladybug.

"Chat Noir, a little help?"

"On my way, my Lady."

After fighting a super-speeding akumatized person, Chat rushed back to the Dupain bakery. Marinette was not on the roof, so he checked her window.

Still not here? Where is she?

He glanced around at the street, when he heard a familiar pair of feet landing on the roof.

"What are you doing here, kitty?"

He looked up at Ladybug, slightly embarrassed. "Ah, not much...I'm waiting for Marinette. I wanted to talk to her..."

Ladybug smiled. "Why don't you wait here? She'll come up soon I'm sure."

"Are you not interested in chatting with us, my Lady?" Chat asked. It would be nice to talk to both of them. Two people he cared very much for.

"I have to go. Bye, Chat." she swung away, and Chat sat down. A few minutes later, he heard the door to the roof open.

"Ah, princess. You've finally arrived," Chat smirked at her. Marinette grinned back.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, kitty cat."

Adrien walked into school, thoughts unfocused. They hadn't said much last night, but unlike at school, it had been such a comfortable silence. Was it really that different being Adrien rather than Chat?

How can I change it?

"Good morning, Adrien." He turned around. He smiled at her.

"Good morning, Marinette."