Chapter 18

Ladybug was at a loss, her and chat were out patrolling but.......

Her mind was a mess of scattered thoughts of no relevance in the slightest. With Révolutionnaire shouting insults at her "untraditional way of fighting" and blowing things up, something should've woken her up. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

She felt a hand on her shoulder. She didn't move. It could've been Hawkmoth for all she knew, and she couldn't have moved a single muscle.

"Ladybug," Chat said, shaking her slightly. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"Mama," was the only word she could muster.

"Your mother? She should be safe in the bakery, with your dad. As long as we can take the akuma down, it'll be okay. So let's go?"

Her arms felt like jelly. She wasn't sure if it was panic or shock, but she found herself struggling to stay conscious and functioning, unable to process the fact her mother was almost definitely aware of her being Ladybug. How long had she known? Did she know about Adrien? She must've, otherwise why would she send the two of them together?

"My Lady, please. Someone could get hurt."

Somehow, the idea someone could get hurt because of her panic shattered her shocked state. Adrenaline rushed to her brain, leaving an uncomfortable buzz by her temples. She let out a shuddered breath before turning to her partner. "I'm really sorry," she managed. "Let's fight. I have to talk to you afterward." Not waiting for a response, she tossed her yo-yo and leapt into action.

She saw a projectile aimed at her, and with a quick motion, slammed it downwards to explode against the pavement. Révolutionnaire scowled and aimed at her again, focusing by squinting his eyes. Ladybug didn't give him time to react, and swung towards him to try and get the rifle out of his hand. He swiped at her with the bayonet, making an arc for her face. She dodged and rolled forward, aiming a quick kick to his legs when she stood up.

Chat started to fight him with his baton extended like a fencing foil. Révolutionnaire looked amused by this, as if this was the kind of fight he was looking for. While Chat kept him busy with incredible skill, Ladybug called for her Lucky Charm.

A firecracker dropping into her hands, she quickly looked around for a plan. She called for Chat to stand ready as she launched the firecracker above their heads, a little worried about fire safety. It distracted Révolutionnaire, who cooed at the sight of the patriotic firecracker. Chat took the opportunity to use his baton and launch the bayonet towards Ladybug, who slammed it onto the floor and smashed it. The little black butterfly fluttered out and she cleansed it, releasing a white one in its stead. Her cure repaired all the buildings and the bayonet prop at her feet.

Chat walked over to her, extending his fist for their ritual "bien joué," but Ladybug used it to drag him towards her home. They leapt to her balcony and into her room, where they detransformed.

"My Lady, what's wrong? Your head wasn't in the fight at all," Adrien said, reaching for her worriedly. Tikki hid in Marinette's jacket pocket.

Panic overtook her again, and her breathing became uneven. "Mama knows our identities. That's the reason she sent us upstairs, because she knew we had to transform. She purposely led my dad away." she explained, touching his hand with hers. His worry morphed to shock.

"Are you sure?" he murmured. Marinette nodded with a shaky breath. "How?"

"I just...there's no other way."

"You're right, sweetie."

Marinette jumped, and she figured Adrien had too. "Mama!"

Her mom sighed, crossing her arms. "I know you're Ladybug and Chat Noir. Though there is some magic involved, I know the truth."