Chapter 15

A/N from the aurthor(not me)
I wish I could update faster but it becomes increasingly difficult as time goes on. The next few months are going to be living hell for me, so once again, please expect slow, super short updates. I'm sorry. :/

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Marinette figured that a formal invitation to see the one and only Gabriel Agreste usually would send her over the moon, she would shriek in joy and dance.

Today, that was not the case. When she found the professional note in her mailbox, she was almost ready to rip it to shreds.

Maybe it wasn't directly his fault, but Gabriel was pretty responsible for Adrien's exhaustion. He controlled everything Adrien did, and probably knowingly planned far too much in one week.

No one has the capability to manage six photoshoots a week, including late night shoots with photographers from all over the world, increasing pressure in school, piano and mandarin lessons, and fencing club. Of course that doesn't include Chat Noir patrolling and fighting, but his father didn't know about that so she couldn't blame that on him. Still, he was overworking his son, and Adrien had too much respect for his father to tell him that.

Marinette, on the other hand, would defend Adrien to her last breath.

Tikki tried to dissuade her, telling her not to make the situation worse by accident, but if her kwami's words had done anything she probably wouldn't be on a bus on the way to the Agrestes' mansion.

Honestly, Marinette could feel Tikki's anxiety through her purse. But Marinette's nerves were steeled, and she was furious.

Reaching the house, she rang the bell and watched as the gates swung open. She walked up the steps and entered, seeing Nathalie immediately.

"Good morning, Ms. Dupain-Cheng. I'm glad to see you got the message. Please wait, Mr. Agreste will be ready in a few minutes." the assistant informed her. Marinette nodded and waited, capping her rage.

Tikki peaked out. "Marinette, please don't do this. What if he's offering you an opportunity you'll never get again?"

"Tikki, I have to. Adrien won't! And it's fine. I can live even if I don't become a designer." Marinette argued.

Tikki sighed and remained out of sight. Marinette figured it probably looked like she was talking to herself.

"He's ready. Please follow me." Marinette turned and followed Nathalie to Gabriel Agreste's study.

Marinette opened the door slowly, peaking in before fully opening it. She entered hastily and faced the world-famous designer. A quick glance around the room, she met his eyes with only a hint of nervousness. The main feeling that rolled over her was coldness, and she suddenly felt awful that Adrien lived in this perpetual frigidity.

"Good morning, Ms. Dupain-Cheng." he greeted, similarly to Nathalie. His smile was forced, professional, and similar to Adrien's press smile. "I hope you are having a fine morning."

Marinette nodded. "Thank you, and you too sir."

"To cut the small talk, I have a proposition that you may like," he stated, folding his hands over the table and leaning forward. "I wanted to offer you a summer internship for this year. You have quite a bit of potential, so you might as well train as soon as possible."

Marinette's lip quivered. With anger or anguish, she wasn't sure, but she bit her lip to stay professional. "With all due respect, and I do very much respect you, I'm not sure if I am willing to take this job. I am not able to put up with being unnecessarily worked to death."