Chapter Fifty-six: He'd Come Back

She put the white fluffy towel aside, smiling proudly as she looked at Draco's face "Oh look at you now. You're shaved and all.. But well.. You ha-have few cuts here and there.. It's not my fault anyways I never shaved to anyone before.." she grabbed a tissue "look, we can just cover them," she started cutting the tissue into a very small pieces that they will only hide the cuts on his face "no one will notice." She whispered to him, then she smiled as she cupped his right cheek staring at him as if he was staring back at her. She stared at the lines of his face, peaceful in repose. Was he really going to stay in that coma for the rest of his life? Were they going to give up on him and just let him die? She sighed as she sat down on the chair next to his bed, still looking at him. Everyone else seemed to be giving up, they even stopped visiting him, expect Norman, Laura, Blaise, Hyldey and Helena. But Hermione was the one who stayed with him the rest of her day once she finishes work.

Hermione awoke with a crick in her neck and grimaced as she stretched. She hadn't meant to fall asleep in the chair by Draco's bed, but it wasn't the first time she'd done so - and she doubted it would be the last. This time, she'd been plagued by disturbing dreams, in which she kept trying to get through to Draco, but he couldn't seem to hear her and every time she reached for him, he slipped out of her reach. It didn't take a psychology major to work out the hidden meaning of that dream. As she stretched, she considered the peaceful lines of his face and mused, "I wonder what you're dreaming about, in there. I hope it's something nice, at least." She leaned in and murmured, "You probably already know what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway because I keep hoping one of these days it'll get through. Come back to me, Draco Malfoy. The world is passing you by while you're lying there, dreaming. You've been sleeping long enough, and I miss you more every day."

Hours later..

"Ah, did I tell you that Luna is finally home!" she beamed at him "she really wanted to visit you but I asked her to stay home and rest. She'll be here tomorrow." she sighed

Two days later..
She sighed and covered her face with her hands, rubbing the headache that pounded in her temple as she tried not to cry. "I've had an awful day and could really use you right now."

Three days later..

"It's my birthday today, Draco? Know what I'm wishing for? Yeah, I bet you do," she conceded in a soft tone. "All I want for my birthday is to have you back." Deep in her heart, she was starting to fear that this was one wish that would never come true.

Two months later..

He was slipping away from her, she could feel it. Little by little. It had taken a long time for her to stop reaching for the phone throughout the day to call him - feeling the sharp stab of heartache every time, when she remembered the man on the other end of the line could no longer answer. It had taken even longer to stop looking for him in a crowd or expecting to see his name on her caller I.D. Now, when she came across something funny, or sad, or strange, or when she just wanted to talk, she remembered all too quickly that she couldn't call him and called Ron, instead.
Draco was slipping away from her, and she didn't know how to stop it.

Hermione paused uncertainly in the doorway. "I-I'm sorry. Did I come at a bad time?"

Dr. Jensen turned in his wheelchair. When he saw her, he smiled and said warmly, "Not at all; I was just checking on a couple of things."

She entered cautiously. This was the first time she had spent any time one-on-one with Dr. Jensen; although she had seen him a few times in passing, most of her interactions had been with Dr. Ramon and Dr. Snow. She didn't know entirely what to think of the somewhat reclusive older man in front of her. Before she could ponder the matter further, he spoke. "You've been visiting Draco regularly since he was transferred here, haven't you? The two of you must be good friends."