(9)

Hey guys,

So I've tried to come up with the best I could for this chapter, I don't have WiFi for three more days, so I wrote this on my phone.

Enjoy xx

<><><><>

This family is so weird. Seriously weird. It's unnatural. They're playing board games. Together. At night. For fun.

The day had gone by quickly, and somehow we all ended up in the living room together, playing monopoly. Scratch that. They are. I respectfully declined. Nick next to me, is having way too much playing 'family time'. It's ridiculous.

"Luke, you're trespassing man." He laughs. Luke groans, and hands the last of his money over.

"Not a monopoly fan?" Hunter asks me quietly, sitting down next to me. He had gone to make the family popcorn.

"Not a board game fan." I shrug.

"We don't do this every night." He assures me. "We thought we should have a quiet night in because of you and Nick."

"Don't change your schedules on our accounts." I snort.

"Wouldn't dream of it." He grins. "Do you like horses Ev?"

"Eva." I correct him. "And not really. Today was the first time I saw one."

"I wouldn't say that out loud out here in Montana." He chuckles. "That's almost an offense."

"Call the police then cause I don't plan on fixing it." I say dryly.

"We'll get you on a horse sooner or later." Hunter smiles. "Maybe not Bessie, she's about to pop."

"Is she the one from this morning?" I ask.

"Yeah." He nods. "I need to keep an eye on her, she'll give birth any day now."

"Fantastic." I roll my eyes.

"You should watch when it happens. A horse birth is something like magic." He smiles.

"I'll pass." I wrinkle my nose. I can only imagine. The stickiness. The smell. Never going to happen.

"Are you sure you don't want to play Eva?" Keith asks. "Luke sucks at finance, so there's room for you."

"I'm actually going to go to bed." I fake regret. "Big day, you know?"

"Ok." Emily smiles. "No problems. Tomorrow we're all going to go into town, so we can pick up some school stuff for you." I smile in response, before disappearing up the stairs.

"Hey Ev!" I turn around, to see Hunter catching up.

"Eva." I correct him again. "Yeah?"

"Tomorrow when we all go into town maybe I can introduce you to some people who you'll see, so you know a few." He says. "Make it a little easier maybe? It must be hard."

"Look." I sigh. "I get you're being all nice, and that's all how you are out here. But I'm really not planning on sticking around for that long." I open my door, avoiding his gaze. "Just trying to save you some trouble." I close the door, groaning inside.

I need a smoke. I'm not addicted. It just helps me relax. Mellow out a bit. I decide to call Casey, so i sit on the window seat. I crack open the window, the last thing I need is for them to catch me smoking. I would never hear the end of it. However if I made it a regular occurrence they might get sick of me.

The ring goes on forever, but eventually someone picks up.

"Casey?" I say excitedly.

"Who is this?" She giggles.

"Eva." I say. "I just wanted to let you know I'm in Montana."

"Oh hey." She says distracted. "We're trying out this new stuff, it's great."

"Who are you talking to?" I freeze, as I hear Leo's voice in the background.

"Eva." Casey sighs. "Talk to her will you, I have to piss." I have little time to protest, as I hear the phone being shuffled around.

"Hey baby." Leo says, as I can practically hear the smirk appearing on his face. "I've missed you."

"Put Casey on the phone." I spit.

"You know, I can't wait until you come back." He says. "We can finish off what I started."

"Can I remind you that I finished it?" I say grimly.

"About that." He says, his voice turning stern. "I didn't appreciate it. I'll be looking forward to your return. Have a nice vacation babe." Before I can retaliate he hangs up, leaving me furious.

I angrily light my cigarette, putting the lighter under a cushion. I breathe a big breath in, sighing in relief, as I let my whole body relax.

Even with Leo the ass being back in Ohio I still want to go back. I can handle him. I don't know if I can handle this.

I hear footsteps on the stairs, and I panic, nearly falling off the window seat. I put out the cigarette butt, and chuck it out the window. When someone knocks in my door, I start waving furiously at the air near the window.

"Just a second." I call out, spraying a little deodorant and slamming the window shut. "Come in."

Nick walks through the door, and smiles, shutting it behind him.

"I'm going to get some sleep. My first real day at work tomorrow." He says, sitting on my bed.

"So that's it then?" I roll my eyes. "You're going to dump me here alone with these people?"

"Eva, I'm not even leaving the property." Nick sighs. "And these people have been nothing but good to us."

"These people are nuts!" I whisper loudly. "They play board games and birth freaking horses! These are not our people Nick, we do not belong here!"

"Goodnight Eva." He says simply, leaving the room quietly.

Whatever. He doesn't understand. I don't belong here. He doesn't even belong here.

At least he didn't catch me smoking.

I give up on trying to have a peaceful smoke and change my clothes. I need sleep to get through tomorrow.

<><><><>

This house is like a maze. I can't get out.

But I am calm. I am collected. I am alright.

I can see the door. Like always. Red with a rusted handle. That is my way out.

I try to take a step forward, but I can't move. My feet are like lead.

But I am calm. I am collected. I am alright.

My surroundings are the same. There are no surprises.

The dead flowers in the pot on the table.

The dripping tap in the sink.

The flickering light above me.

The blood.

Soon I will not be calm. I won't be collected.

I will not be alright.