(12)

I've never been the new kid before.

I grew up in one town, one place. I shouldn't be nervous. I shouldn't care about what they think of me. I don't even know them. It's not like I'll even be in this school long enough to be known. Eventually, Nick is going to give in, and we'll go back to Ohio.

But I can't help but notice the fluttering movements in my stomach that make me want to barf.

I look at myself in the mirror, buttoning up my checkered shirt. Emily gave me some more 'appropriate' clothes for school. Apparently my ripped jeans and band shirt wouldn't be the best option. I slide on my nice jeans, and lace up my boots. I don't even need a jacket here, it's so hot.

I pack my bag with all the books and stuff Hunter got for me, and sling it over my back, heading down the stairs, following the amazing smell of Emily's cooking and the sound of swing music, which she loves to play early morning, dancing in front of the stove. I still can't believe she's forty four. She looks so young. They started their family so early. They got married at nineteen, and first had Charlie at twenty.

"Morning honey." She smiles at me. "Ready for school?"

"Yeah." I say. "Where is everyone?"

"Everyone's left already." She says, handing me a piece of toast. "I let you sleep in, the principal told us to bring you in during first period anyway, to register you."

"Oh." I say, sitting down and sipping my juice. "Where's Nick?"

"Keith, Charlie and Jackson are with him in one of our back fields, working while he fixes a car broken down." She says. "I'm going to drive you to school, I have to sign some papers."

"Ok." She takes off her apron, slinging it over a chair.

"Lets go." She smiles. I down my juice, and grab my bag, following her out to her mini van. She drives the car down the long driveway, turning the radio up. All they get out here are country stations. Great.

"So, Nick told me you used to be in AP classes." She says. "Sorry Eva, but when I emailed a copy of your most recent report card to the school, they couldn't place you in them."

"That's fine." I hold in a laugh.

"If you work hard enough, I'm sure you can be moved into them." She says gently. "You're a junior, you have time. But for now, they put you in mainstream."

"Really, Emily." I assure her. "Mainstream is fine. AP was never my thing."

"Nick says you're naturally smart." She shrugs. "It would be a shame to waste that talent."

"It wasn't natural." I shrug. "It's fine, really."

"Ok." She gives up. "Speaking of natural talent, Nick also told me that you love music, that you play guitar." I clench my fists underneath my bag, mad. He just doesn't stop, does he?

"I used to." I explain. "I don't anymore, really."

"Oh." She says confused. "Um, Nick asked me to add music to your list of subjects. So I did." I look accusingly at her.

"What?" I spit.

"I just did what Nick told me to." She says apologetically. "You're in mainstream junior music. It's actually a really fun class, I'm sure you'll like it."

"I know it's not your fault." I clench my teeth. "But I don't play anymore. Can you take me out of it?"

"I can try." She says. "But really, you'll love it." No I won't.

The rest of the drive is in silence, except for some weird banjo song. I watch the scenery, as she pulls into a dirt car park.

"Come on." She says, sliding out of the van. I get out, looking at the school. It's quite obviously three buildings, one for high school, middle school, and elementary, with gates separating them. I follow Emily to the building furthest way, the biggest one. We enter through the reception doors, hit by air conditioning.

"Hi Sheila." Emily smiles almost wearily, at the receptionist. She doesn't even look up. I look over the bench, to see a short, stumpy woman, with a bleached blonde perm. She wears a yellow sundress, her glasses perched on the end of her nose, as her red fake nails tap away on the keyboard.

"Sheila-" She's cut off again, as Sheila hold up one stubby finger. She types for a couple more seconds, before looking up from her screen.

"Emily." She sighs. "Is this the new one?"

"Yes." She says almost too brightly. "This is Eva."

"You said she was coming tomorrow." Sheila frowns.

"No, Sheila." Emily says through forced lips. "I rang last week. Beth and I ran into you yesterday at the store, we discussed it then as well."

"You're mistaken." She frowns, starting to type again. "Bring her back tomorrow, I don't have the papers ready."

"Sheila!" Emily protests. "We're already here. It's not a short drive, and Eva needs to go to school."

"How is the ranch?" Sheila asks suddenly. "Still baking away?" Emily sighs, placing her hands on her hips.

"What will it take this time Sheila?" She huffs.

"I'm throwing a tupperware party in a couple of weeks." Sheila smirks. "I would love a couple of your boys to come and help set up. Those tables are so heavy."

"Fine." Emily throws her hands up in defeat. "I will send Jackson and Luke over. Can we please sign in now?"

"Throw in three batches of your blueberry scones and you have a deal." She says chuckling. "Gregory loves those, we can't get enough of them." Emily narrows her eyes, crossing her arms.

"Deal." She spits. Sheila grins, as if she's won a great battle.

"Here are the papers you need to fill out." She says, handing over a file. She looks over at me, and frowns. "Here is your timetable. It's already second period, so you should go now."

"What, no tour?" Emily frowns.

"I'm sure she can figure it out." Sheila says distracted, typing away again.

"Fine." Emily sighs. "I'll take her to her first class." 

"No parents allowed past reception." She smirks. "Sorry."

"It's fine, Emily." I say finally. "Really. I got it." Emily smiles, and nods.

"Ok hun." She says. "Find one of the boys to take you home, alright?" I nod, before leaving the room, looking around me.

Here goes nothing.