(36)

Hi guys,

I'm so sorry for the late update. To be honest things just got in the way and I lost my creative side that I needed.

It's funny how something so simple can make you feel like yourself again.

I hope you enjoy this chapter! xxx

<><><><>

"I will never forget the look on Denning's face." Hunter grins, stuffing in another fry.

"He looked like he sucked on a lemon." I smirk. "I think he finally understands he has real competition." 

After Keith's speech, everybody eighteen and over had to stay behind to vote. The adjudicator could barely explain how to do it through the applause Keith was getting. Eventually, the adults started to vote, and the others either hung around or went home. Hunter and I dropped Isaac off at the library, and decided to grab some food.

"When will the votes be ready?" I ask him, sipping my root beer. 

"A couple of days." Hunter shrugs. "Everybody has to vote, and I'm sure Dennings will want the votes counted twice." We look at each other for a moment, before bursting into another round of laughter. 

"A progressive future." I snort. "An end is coming to that."

"Amen." Hunter grins, looking at me. "Eva, I-"

"Here you are kids." Mark interrupts, placing fries and more drinks on our table. "Free victory drinks." 

"We haven't won yet." Hunter laughs.

"Dude." Mark rolls his eyes. "If we don't win after that speech I'm counting those votes myself." He whistles himself back to the bar, and I notice he is handing out drinks to everybody in the place, giving himself a few as well. 

"He's going to pass out by dinner time." I comment. Hunter watches, and nods, agreeing with me. 

"The only bartender I know who drinks more than his customers." He remarks. "Good guy though."

"It's incredible how close this town is." I sigh. "I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it."

"Eva." Hunter starts, trailing off. "You coming here has made this town perfect." I look at him, knowing that he means it. And I'm happy to be here. Especially with Hunter. So why do I feel the need to ruin this moment?

"The reason I came here isn't so perfect." I note, looking down at my food. "If my brother didn't force me here I would probably still be... there."

"I can't imagine not knowing you now." Hunter says thoughtfully. 

"And I never want to be the person I was when I left Ohio." I say, knowing that what I say is true. "But Hunter, I-"

"I know nothing I say will help." Hunter says quickly. "I know you need patience. And love. Eva, I care about you."

"I know you do." I say softly. "You don't understand."

"Eva, I am going to do everything I can for you." Hunter promises. "I'll-"

"Hunter, you don't understand!" I say loudly, almost laughing. "Stop speaking for a minute."

"Sorry." He says bashfully.

"Hunter, I care about you too." I reassure him. "And I don't see that changing anytime soon. The relationship I have with you is incredible because I trust you. Do you know how hard it has been for me to trust people?" 

I reach out, to touch his hand.

"What I went through it something that I only want to forget about." I say softly. "But I never will. It will always be with me where ever I go. I can only learn to live with. To control it. To not let it control me."

I can tell this is hurting him more than me.

"And the fact that I trust you proves that I can do it." I smile brightly. "But I am still truly f*cked up. You can word it how you want, but when it comes down to it I'm just f*cked up and I will be for a really long time. I have night terrors, and flashbacks and cravings, and doctors visits and sometimes I just have to hit myself to get out of bed in the morning."

I sigh, relaxing my tone.

"Hunter." I say softly. "I need to move slowly. Really slowly. It's not fair to you or me. But don't mistake that for wanting to stop. Because I want only to move forward with you."

"We will go as slow as we need to." Hunter says.

Together.

<><><><>

"Hunter, I think it's going to rain." I say nervously, looking at the sky.

"I agree with you." He says, hoisting another sack of grain underneath the metal covering in the field.

After we dropped off some dinner at the ranch house, I followed Hunter who needed to finish his chores. We had to drive into the backfields, to drop off some grain which will be stored here for the cows.

"If the rain comes before I get all this produce under cover I'm in for it." He groans. I help him, dragging a sack bigger than me off the back of the truck. Well. Attempting. 

"You know that sack ways more than your little body?" Hunter snickers, taking it off me and easily placing it on his shoulder, chucking it under the shelter. 

A rack of thunder drowns out my retort, and I jump, really not wanting to be rained on. I can already feel a few drops, knowing my chances aren't good.

"Are you done?" I ask him, as he rids his shoulder of the final bag.

"Yep." He grins. "Do you have the keys?" I hold them out, eager to get into the truck. He casually makes his way towards me. He takes the keys, and we get into the car. As soon as we shut the doors, it pours down, so heavy I can't see outside the windows.

"Good timing." I sigh, relieved.

"Yep." Hunter agrees, as he starts the ignition. 

Or tries too. It makes an electric grunting sound, before dying completely.

"Shit." Hunter says.

"No way." I groan. "Is there something wrong with this car?"

"Nick sure thought so." Hunter says nervously.

"You took it anyway?" I growl.

"I didn't think it was serious!" He protests. "I'll fix it!" He jumps out the car, instantly soaked. He opens up the hood, and I almost laugh at him. 

He has no idea what he's doing.

He opens up my door, and looks at me desperately.

"I have no idea what I'm doing." He sighs. I cuss him out, forcing myself out of the car, shivering at the rain. I can tell straight away the engines gone, no way is getting fixed today.

"No way." I tell him. "We have to walk." We make our way down the hill, and Hunter try's to help me.

"Careful, it's slip-" Before he can finish, I fall forward, rolling down the hill, taking Hunter with me.

I land on my stomach, a soft landing considering I landed on top of Hunter.

"Ow." I snicker, propping myself up on my elbow, looking down at him.

"Careful it's slippery." He jokes.

"Thanks." I roll my eyes. He quickly rolls us over, so he looks down at me.

"You know how we need to go slow?" He says.

"Yeah?" I smile.

"Can I kiss you?" He asks softly.

"All the time." I grin, pulling him close by his shirt. "That will always be ok."

And he does.