(23)

I rapidly write down notes, wishing the teacher might slow down in his lecture. We have a test next week, and I realise I would probably need to pass that. I was thinking, I don't have enough credits to get into the classes I want to next year.

"Eva." I half look across, to see Noah sitting next to me. I don't answer, and keep trying to finish the notes. "Eva!"

"What?" I hiss quietly.

"No need to get snappy." He smirks. "Just wanted to hear about your brother. Nick."

"What about him?" I ask, keeping an eye on the teacher, as his notes get longer. I'm gonna have to put some work in tonight. 

"I heard he left town." He shrugs. "Got sick of you already?" 

I almost lunge. Almost. 

"Are you that much of a prick?" I spit. The bell rings, and I kick myself for missing practically that whole chapter review. I gather my things, and stand up, before being cornered by Noah, as everyone else leaves.

"What?" I groan.

"Calm down, I'm only messing around." He smirks.

"Go mess around with someone else then." I frown. "Cause I'm not interested."

 "Come on." He says, leaning his arm on the wall, next to my head. "You can't deny that when you first saw me you found me attractive."

"I did actually." I smile sarcastically. "Before you opened your mouth." 

If he seriously thinks something is going to happen between us now, he's delusional.

"I'll be going now." I say, and try to leave but he grabs my arm.

"There's something off about you." He says lowly.

"Because I don't want to get with you?" I retort.

"No." He growls. "Something's different. And I'll find out."

"Let. Go." I growl back. He shoves me back, and I grab my bag and leave quickly.

Prick.

The day goes fast, I forgot how quickly school would go when you actually worked your ass off. All I need is a couple of B's, and then I'll be back on track.

"Hello my little nuggets." Dave yawns, slamming the door shut behind him. "Welcome to yet another class of stupid theory, that gives you no musical outlet at all. Please feel free to enjoy the beverages and food I provided you to try and keep this class somewhat actually worth living through." He chucks a couple of cans of Dr. Pepper, and half a packet of gum our way.

"I think in two days we can play." Chloe says, flicking through her textbook. "We can do it."

"You can do it." Seb snorts. "We aren't freaks."

"I want pizza." Dave says, sitting on his desk. "Do you guys want some? I'm ordering a pizza."

"What are we going to start with?" Someone asks. "When we can play again?" I frown, not sure how that's going to go down.

"I was thinking we could start with individuals." Dave shrugs. "And then do a few group stuff." He starts to talk to the pizza guy, and I almost laugh. I know of no teacher who acts like he does. I focus on my theory, god help me if I fail music.

"So, my weirdo non music player." Dave says quietly, plopping down on the bean bag next to me. "As Chloe pointed out, we'll be playing music soon. Which might be a problem for you."

"I can watch." I shrug.

"I don't believe you when you said you don't play anything." He says matter of fact. 

"I used to play guitar." I nod.

"Do you have it here?" He asks.

"Yes, but-"

"Bring it in." He smiles. "You don't have to play it, just bring it in." I sigh, but agree.

"Fine." 

<><><><>

"If you flick paint on me one more time I will hurt you." Jackson warns Luke. 

"I don't mean too." He snickers. 

"Well then I don't mean to do this." Jackson retorts, flicking his large paintbrush into Luke's face.

Keith asked all of us to help paint the outside of the barn, because the red paint of just withering away. I dip my bush in the bucket of sky blue paint, and start to brush it over the wall.

"How are you with heights?" Hunter asks, walking over with a ladder, propping it up on the barn wall.

"Nope." I say simply. "Not happening."

"I'll do it." Isaac grins.

"Afraid of heights Ev?" Hunter laughs.

"Ev?" Jackson questions. "I like that."

"Don't know why." I shrug. Isaac climbs the ladder, and I continue to finish my part of the wall. 

"Beth, it's hot out here." Hunter says. "Go get a hat."

"I don't wanna." She says. She's sitting comfortably on her picnic blanket, playing with her doll.

"Beth, go." Isaac warns.

"I'm not hot!" She protests. "Neither is Veronica."

"Can you take her inside please?" Hunter asks the twins. "Mum will kill us if she gets sunburnt." 

"Sure." Camilla smiles. "Didn't want to paint the barn anyway." They both grab an arm of Beth's, and pull her reluctantly back to her house.

"I painted my part!" Luke says excitedly, throwing his paint brush away. "I can go now."

"What's the rush?" Jackson asks him curiously.

"Nothing." Luke says quickly, standing up. "I just have to go into town. To the.. library."

"How are you getting there?" Carter smirks. 

"Mom said I can ride Tinker-bell in." He says, starting to run to the stables. "See you later!"

"Be careful, I just replaces her shoe!" Hunter shouts after him.

"Love struck puppy." Isaac mutters. The silence is interrupted by my ringtone, a text. I wipe my hands with a rag, getting rid of the blue paint. I reach onto my pocket, to find my phone. 

When I see that it's Casey messaging me, I smile. She has barely spoken to me lately, she says that they've been really busy. I open the message, and as I read, the smile is wiped off my face.

'You have something of Leo's. Call me.'