(14)

It turns out God granted me a favour, and I got to skip music because of an assembly during the last period of the day. We all had to go to the auditorium, and I sit with Alison and her friends, with the twins. 

"Boo!" I jump, and turn around to see all the boys behind us, taking up practically a whole row.

"Do you know what this is about?" Alison whines, as David wraps his arms around her neck from behind her. "I'm missing photography class for this."

"No idea." Hunter shrugs, opening a bag of chips. "Was planning to use this time to sleep."

"Well it can't be good." Isaac frowns, training his eyes on the stage. "McDick Face is here." I look over, to find Gregory Dennings standing on the stage with the principal, talking quietly while people file in. 

"Great." Hunter groans. "I've been put off my sleep."

"Probably sponsoring another stupid building again." David snorts.

"Or giving his son his own award." Carter snickers.

"That was a weird assembly." Ollie notes. When I look around the seats, I see mixed reactions to Mr Dennings being here, and they all ironically seem to be in different sections. 

Up at the front, seem to be people who are actually excited to hear him speak, people like Noah and Harriet, who later I found out are actually cousins.

Near us, are people who would actually rather be in class than waste a period listening to him. I still haven't made up my mind yet. The microphone screams as it's turned on, and we look towards the stage, to see him holding it.

"Hello, my favourite students." He says, flashing a row of white, pearly teeth.

"Here we go." Ollie groans. 

"I am so happy to be here, to present a check to your school today." He says. "Could I ask my son to come up here please?" Everybody claps, as Noah leaves his seat, and joins his Dad.

"I would like Noah, as Captain of the school football team." He continues. "To accept this check on behalf of the team, and the entire school. Our family has agreed to donate five thousand dollars, to help buy new equipment and uniforms, to help our team gain victory in this years football season." 

"Ew." David sighs. They shake hands, and Noah jumps off the stage, going back to his seat, check in hand.

"In return." Mr Dennings continues. "I hope to receive your support, when elections arrive for President of the Committee Board. I have been your President for many years now, and I assure you, I will try my very best to remain so. Remember. A vote for me, is a vote for your towns progressive future."

He is met by a sea of clapping. Some people in the back clap politely, but no one goes out of their way.

"Before I leave." He keeps going. "I want to give a warm welcome to one of our towns newest people."

Oh, come on dude. Really? 

"If you haven't already heard, Eva and her brother Nick has recently flown in from Ohio." He smiles. Everybody turns to look at me, and I slide down my seat, self conscious. "And they are staying with the Samuels... on their little ranch."

"Seven thousand acres." Hunter growls lowly from behind me.

"Eva." He calls out. "Would you like to join me on stage?" My eyes widen, and I look at Alison frantically.

"Well." I stutter, just loudly enough for him to hear me. "No." I can hear a couple of laughs and gasps.

"Well." He says through a thin smile. "That's quite alright. Anyway, welcome to Montana." I nod slightly, feeling my cheeks gong even redder.