(22)

"Do we need to come up and talk to the teachers David?" Keith asks concerned. It wasn't long for someone to spill. It was obvious that these rumours were affecting him.

"No." David insists, fiddling with his fork. "It'll only make it worse."

"Bullying is wrong!" Beth pipes up, gravy coating her lips. "I learnt that in school." 

"It is honey." Emily answers, wiping her face. "Which is why we stick up for people in trouble." I see David across the table, but he couldn't be more far away.

"You just have to ignore it." Keith continues. "Keep your head strong, and remind yourself why they bother."

"It's true isn't it?" He says lowly, keeping his eyes on his plate.

"David." Emily says sympathetically. She tries to place a hand on his arm, but he gently jerks it away.

"I'm not that hungry anymore." He says, pushing his plate away, and leaving the room. I can't help but get where he's coming from.

"That poor boy." Emily says, her head in her hands. He doesn't need that.

"He'll be ok." Keith sighs. No he won't.

I can't believe I'm doing this. Damn me and getting attached. 

"I have to.." I trail off. "Thanks for dinner." I hurry out of the kitchen, and walk up the stairs to David and Hunter's room. I knock, but no one answers.

I should just leave. This isn't my problem. 

Damnit.

I push the door open gently, to an empty room, but an open window. I cautiously walk towards the window, and look down. No way could he have gotten down there. 

"Hey." I jump, hitting my head on the window.

"Ow." I groan, and crane my head up. "How the heck did you get up there?" I ask, as I watch him swing his legs off the roof.

"I used the pipe." He says. "To your left." I look over, and almost pass out as I see a flimsy little drain pipe next to me.

Why do I always do this shit?

I grab the pipe, and try to hoist myself up. My stomach flips as I miss the top of the roof. Damn my shortness. Luckily, I feel myself being caught under the armpits, saving me from prominent death. David lifts me up, gently placing me next to him. 

"I would be careful." He sighs, leaning back. "It's dangerous climbing up here."

"Haven't you heard." I snort. "Danger is my middle name."

We sit in silence for awhile, and I guess I should say something.

"I get why it sucks." I sigh.

"What?" He asks, propping himself up on his elbows.

"You screwed up." I say. "I don't know what you did, and it doesn't matter. But what sucks even more is that these people are too nice to hate for trying to help. You can't push them away like you did to other people."

"I used to screw up." He says. "I don't anymore. It just hurts a little when I can't forget about it. I came here for a new start. It sucks when I just keep being reminded of what I was like."

"Well." I shrug. "It sucks. And there's nothing I can say to make it better because I haven't been through what you have. So I'm not going to say I get it, or that it's going to be ok because I don't know. I'm not the person to be giving advice. Hell, I'm still screwing up, at least you've found a way to stop."