(13)

From the inside, all schools are pretty much the same. Cafeteria, library, lockers. Eventually, I find the right hallway, and I manage to find my locker. I dump my stuff, and then try to find my English class. This school isn't big, it shouldn't be to difficult. 

I wander the halls, trying to find corridor A, but Im in C. I'm so focussed on this map of the school, I don't notice the door swinging open, hitting me in the face. I stumble back, holding my nose, wincing.

"Shit!" I look through my fingers to see a guy, wide eyed, shutting the door quickly."I am so sorry! I didn't see you."

""It's ok."  I groan, rubbing my nose. "Ow."

"Let me help you." He bends down, collecting the map and timetable I dropped. "Are you new? I haven't seen you before. Everyone kind of knows everyone around here."

"Yeah." I mumble, picking up my bag from the floor. "I'm Eva."

"Oh, you're staying with the Samuels." He grins. "Well, nice to meet you, I'm Noah Dennings." Dennings? Oh crap.

"Well, I have to get to class." I say, trying to slide past him.

"Let me help you." He says, grabbing my arm. "It's the least I can do." I sigh, knowing it would be faster if I just let him.

"Sure." I say, subtly removing my arm from his grip. He smiles, looking at my timetable. 

"Yeah." He says. "Corridor A is hard to find." I follow him, and we have to walk through the cafeteria. 

"So you moved here with your brother, yeah?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say briefly. "Nick."

"Mind if I ask why?" He asks, as we reach my English class, leaning on the wall next to it.

"Yeah." I grit. "I do. Thanks for the help." I open the door, shutting it behind me. 

"Eva?" I turn around, to see a teacher looking at me expectantly, and a class full of students.

"Yeah." I say, handing her a late slip, which Sheila gave me. 

"I'm Mrs Andrews." She says. "Take a seat." I look around, for anyone familiar, and I see Hunter, but a guy fills the seat next to him. I think his name is Jamie, from town. He gives me a friendly smile, and I sit down behind him. 

She continues with her lecture, and I open a notebook, so it looks like I'm paying attention. Eventually, she gives us work to do, and small chatter starts. Hunter turns around, and smiles at me. 

"I would've taken you to school, but on Mondays a lot of us have sport training." He says. "Plus we knew Sheila would drag it out."

"Is she normally so.." I trail off, not knowing how to describe her.

"Bitchy?" James joins in. "Yeah." Hunter laughs, agreeing. 

"She's old and crabby." Jamie continues. "She stays up on her high horse, because of stupid family connections. If she wasn't related to Gregory Dennings she would have been fired by now." 

"Right." I frown. 

"If you run into his son, Noah, just ignore him." Hunter says. "So not worth it." I keep my mouth shut, deciding to keep quiet about that until I understand the situation better.

"What do you have next?" Jamie asks. 

"Chemistry." I say.

"Oh." Hunter frowns. "I take physics. I can get someone to take you though." Before I can protest, he taps someone on the shoulder in front of him.