(31)

Hey guys!! So earlier, I accidentally published this chapter but I didn't finish it, so if you got that notification... well my bad. 

Plus once I finally finished writing it something glitched. It deleted and then I died inside. I rewrote it, so I have literally spent all day writing this chapter.

BUT it's here now. Enjoy, and think of me as I go write three essays and a short story. 

Much love xxx

<><><><>

I run. I run so fast, now that I collapse in that stupid horse's field, with that stupid pregnant mare, I can't help but gasp for breath.

When my parents died, even though it was unbearable, Nick and I got through it together by talking. It just became a part of our lives. We got up, we dressed, we ate and we went about our day. We were ok.

After the incident it wasn't like that. And it wasn't getting any better. At least until I came here. I can't hold it in anymore. I don't even notice the tears until a drop falls onto my bare knee.

I hear footsteps, and a pair of boots appear next to me. I look up to see Hunter, through blurry eyes. I sob, and he drops next to me, leaning against the fence.

"I did fight back. I tried." I tell him. "I really did." I have no idea why I have the urge to explain myself to him.

But I do.

<><><><>

I giggle, as Freddie pins a corsage to my dress. 

"Am I even doing this right?" He jokes. I nod, and he laughs, as we join Nick on the porch.

"Remember." Nick says seriously. "I know where you live." We say goodbye, knowing his is only joking. Freddie and my brother are good friends, and when he asked me to the junior and senior prom, we all knew no romantic feelings were involved. It was exciting though, only a few sophomores got invited. 

When we get to the school gym, it's a typical high-school dance, streamers and balloons strewn around the room. 

"Eva!" I whirl around to see Sarah, looking stunning in a blue velvet dress, all the way to the floor. She was allowed in because she ran the dance committee. "You look amazing."

"Thanks." I grin. I was wearing a strapless sunflower yellow dress, stopping just below my knees. It's pretty, but modest. Nick made sure of that. 

The night goes so quickly, all we did was dance. Freddie disappeared with his friends awhile ago, and us girls just stayed on the dance floor. 

"I need some air!" I yell over the music, and Sarah nods. I consider asking Freddie to come with me, but he looks content, so I pick up my purse and a bottle of water, and slip out the back door. 

I sit on one of the outside lunch tables, taking in the night sky, cooling down. I check my phone for the time, and if I don't get home soon I'll be breaking curfew. I stand up to go, and I fix my dress.

"What are you doing out here all alone?" I jump, turning around and almost instantly feeling uneasy. Three men stand on the footpath, obviously too old for high school.

"I didn't mean to scare you." The front one says. "We're here to pick up our sisters."  I nod, holding my phone firmly just in case.

"Did you enjoy the dance?" Another asks. 

"Yes." I say quietly.

"I love your dress." The last one smirks. "It's perfect. You're perfect." I immediately start to speed walk away, the gym is only a few more metres away. I don't like this. It's ok. I'm-