Chapter Twenty-Four

Alex had no idea what the surprise could be, but didn't expect it could possibly be any more astonishing than what she had already seen. The entire day had been overwhelming for her and she thought, what could possibly top that? Moments later, Kyodin returned, holding the hand of a little girl who appeared to be about five years old. She was sleepy and looked as though she had just been woken up for this occasion. 

Kyodin spoke in a soft voice and said, "Olivia, there's someone who wants to meet you."

Alex was truly shocked. Just then she realized that she had failed to ask the obvious question when she arrived — 'Are there any others who live here?' She just assumed that if there were others, Kyodin would have mentioned it before. Even seeing this little girl, the question still remained.

"How many others live here?" Alex asked.

"Just us... and Monk."

Olivia looked at Alex with her sleepy eyes, but didn't say anything. It was a natural human emotion to be shy, especially since she had only ever seen two people her entire life.

"Hi, my name is Alex." Alex had no idea who this child belonged to, but figured she was somehow related. Having such little experience with kids, Alex wondered how she would behave around the little girl. She crouched low to get on the same level. "Can I have a hug?" Alex asked, extending her arms.

"It's okay, Olivia," Kyodin said in a sweet voice.

"Olivia," Alex repeated, "that's a pretty name. How old are you?"

"Five," the little girl said. Her big saucer eyes never stopped staring at Alex as she remained partially hidden behind her big brother.

Olivia cautiously walked over to Alex and gestured like she wanted to be picked up. Alex didn't know if she had the strength, but tried anyway. Reaching under the little girl's armpits, Alex hoisted her up. Almost instantly, Olivia nuzzled her head into Alex's neck, right under her chin. She probably wasn't sure what was going on and may have even thought she was still dreaming. Olivia closed her eyes and exhaled a deep breath.

"Here, let me take her back to bed," Kyodin said, taking Olivia from Alex's arms.

"I'm completely overwhelmed," Alex said. "You guys seem to have a great life here — you have a beautiful family and an incredible home."

"There's still a lot more to see," Maxim said, "but I know you're hungry, so let's eat."

Alex sat down at a large wooden table that wouldn't look out of place in a medieval castle from the twelfth century. The kitchen had modern appliances, but none that Alex recognized from back home. Kyodin sat at the table with her, and could hardly sit still. He was acting like a boy awaiting his birthday cake. There was an immaturity about him, but it was endearing.

Maxim stood over a large metal pot that was being kept warm on a stove. As he removed the lid, a puff of steam escaped. With a long spoon, he stirred it around a few times before scooping three generous portions into separate bowls. Bringing the bowls to the table, Maxim set one in front of Alex.

"It tastes just like beef stew," he said.

"Okay..." Alex said reluctantly. She thought it would be best to not ask any further questions as she may be grossed out. She considered herself an adventurous eater and was far too hungry to really worry about what she was putting in her mouth. So far, it looked and smelled exactly like beef stew. She even thought she recognized a carrot in there. Alex took her first bite and was surprised at how good it was. The flavour profile was much richer than she had expected and it was cooked to perfection.