A Look at Book 3

For book 3 of the Prodigy trilogy, I wanted Alex to face a different set of challenges than in book 1 and 2. In book 1, we saw Alex rise to the call of being a hero. She saved the world on an epic scale. When I wrote the first book, I hadn't even considered a sequel.

After being convinced to write a sequel, I didn't necessarily want to trump the first story, because that would not only be difficult, but it may also seem a bit contrived. I mean, how can one girl possibly save the world over and over again? It just didn't seem plausible to me. Instead, I stripped Alex of her gifts and made her not save the day. She doesn't get the bad guy, she is hardly instrumental in saving Mara and avoiding danger. In the end of book 2, Alex is again defeated — not by nature as we saw in book 1, but at the hands of a formidable and adversarial foe.

When plotting out book 3, I wanted to revisit some of the themes that brought this character to life. One such theme was her lack of family. So book 3 is really about Alex discovering and connecting with her family. Again, she doesn't save the day, doesn't overthrow the evil-doers, and is hardly instrumental in defeating any opposing threats.

So to me this series is really about discovery and personal growth. It also highlights some of the perils in our own lives in that we often have no idea how one event or decision is inextricably linked or will affect another. If you told Alex in book 1 that she would one day save the world, fall in love with her best friend, and be reunited with her family on another planet... she would have thought you were crazy. And yet, that is exactly what happened. It is often hard, if not impossible, to see beyond the narrow scope or context of our lives.

Will there be a fourth book?

Well... there is a fourth book, and you can read it now on Wattpad!! It's called ZERO - it's a prequel to Prodigy. But will there be a book that follows the storyline of Prodigy 3? Yes, I have plans to write it one day. It will incorporate a lot of elements from Zero as well as the whole series.

Thank you all for your continued support through reads, comments, messages, votes, and shares... 

I make these books available for you for free and they require a lot of time and effort. If you want to help me out and support me, I would appreciate if you could go back and vote on every chapter if you haven't done so already. Believe it or not, this really helps other people discover the book.

If you want to purchase a copy, it is available in ebook stores everywhere. 

Finally, if you want to give my books a 5-star review on Goodreads, I would really appreciate that as well. — https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27814498-prodigy-returns

Thanks!

Edward Mullen