Chapter Sixty-One

Alex approached a coffee shop without her disguise and felt liberated. It was a bit of a cultural shock even for her to see the busy streets of Megalopolis. The noise was perhaps the hardest thing to get used to. It amazed her to know what a person could grow accustom to given their environment. Upon removing oneself from a situation, they can often return with so much more clarity. It was perhaps a good metaphor for life — a lesson gifted to her out of the ordinary and mundane.

As she watched the passersby, a familiar face emerged from the crowd.

"Where the heck have you been?" Milo asked, wrapping his arms around Alex and kissing her on the lips.

"It's a long story."

After grabbing a coffee, the young couple walked through a crowd of people and not a single person recognized either of them. It was truly a blessed feeling for Alex since she had regained a part of her old life, something she desperately sought after. Together again, the young couple couldn't be more in love. It had been a long journey to get to where they were and they cherished every minute of it. Alex could not wait to tell Milo where she had been for the past six months and to introduce him to her family, including her father. In that moment, all was right in the world.

"So Alex, you left the facility bright eyed and bushy tailed, desperate to gain some real-life experience and find your purpose. Did you find what you're looking for?"

Alex looked at Milo with soft eyes and a smile and said, "I believe I did. I didn't choose my destiny, my destiny chose me."

Just then, someone from the crowd reached out and grabbed Alex's shoulder. Startled that someone had recognized her, she reeled back in a defensive manner.

"Pardon me, miss, but I believe you dropped this," a little old lady said, handing Alex a scarf.

"Thank you," Alex said, "but that doesn't belong to me."

"I'm sorry for having startled you," the lady said.

"It's not a problem."

Milo and Alex continued to walk down the street hand-in-hand, enjoying their coffees and the warm sun on their faces.

"You didn't want your scarf?" Milo asked.

"Nah," Alex replied. "I don't I need it anymore."