Chapter Thirty-Six

Alex had been keeping track of her time spent on Titan. The days turned into weeks and eventually months. For every two months she spent on Titan, one day would pass on Earth. Surely by now Milo and the others have noticed her absence. She wondered if any of them were clever enough to figure out where she had gone. Perhaps some of them may even come to Titan to search for her.

During her stay, she had really gotten to know her new family and had grown to love them, including her father. She didn't want it to end, but in the back of her mind she knew she couldn't live on this planet forever. It didn't feel right to just leave everyone behind without even so much as a note.

"Remember to keep your hands up at all times," Alex said, correcting Kyodin's technique. "Let's go again. Try to hit me."

"What are you guys playing?" Olivia asked, joining Alex and Kyodin on a little plot of grass by the creek.

"Oh sweetie, we're not playing," Kyodin said. "Alex is teaching me how to fight."

"Why?"

"So I can better protect you."

"Can I try?" Olivia said.

"Sure," Alex said. "Stand over there with Kyo."

Alex continued to run through drills for the next twenty minutes until Maxim interrupted them.

"Okay everyone, lunch is ready!" Maxim shouted from the cave entrance.

Maxim stood in the sun, shirtless, looking like a Spartan warrior. His barrel chest and ripped abs adorned a triangular frame, accentuated by his broad shoulders. Every sharp feature looked like it had been carved from stone. In the past two months, his body had completely transformed. He aided the process with a healthy diet and regimented weight training. Now he looked like a man in his mid-thirties and he was getting stronger and younger by the day.

"We'll continue training after lunch," Alex said. "Let's go wash up."

Olivia ran ahead to her dad while Kyodin and Alex walked together. They all entered the cave and sat down for lunch as a family. Alex wasn't sure how much longer this dynamic would remain this way, but cherished every moment while it lasted.

As usual, Maxim served everyone at the table a hot meal.

"Alex, what would you like to drink? I made freshly squeezed orange juice this morning."

Alex laughed and said, "Orange juice is fine, thank you."

Maxim served everyone from a tall pitcher and then sat down himself. "What was so funny about orange juice?" he asked.

"Nothing," Alex replied. "It's just," she paused, "given your history... our history, it's still a little strange to me. To be living like this. For many years, you were the Leader of Earth — arguably the most important person on the planet, and now you are in an apron, serving me orange juice. It just made me laugh."

"Daddy, how come you look so different?" Olivia asked.

"It's a little complicated, dear," Maxim said, "but I'll try to explain it. Alex gave me an incredible gift that allows me to stay young. And when a person is young, they can do a lot more physical activity."

"Like me?" Olivia asked. "I'm young, right?"

"Exactly," Maxim said. "You have a lot more energy than all of us, but you're still growing. Eventually, when you're older, your body will grow and change as well."

"Will I look like Alex?"

"Maybe similar, but you will have a look that is unique only to you."

"I want to be like Alex," Olivia said as she looked at Alex and smiled. "Can I call you mommy?"

Alex smiled, "I'm sorry, hun, but I'm not your mommy," she said. "I'm your sister."

"Why don't I have a mommy?" Olivia asked.

"You do, sweetie," Maxim said, "she's just not with us at the moment."

"Why?"

"She's gone to a better place."

"Why can't we go there?"

"We can, sweetie, just not now. When you're older you can meet your mum."

Alex wanted to step in and change the topic. "How do you know there are not others out there?" Alex asked.

"If there are others out there, they are laying low and they are few," Maxim said. "We've never seen an aircraft, boat, or any indication that there is intelligent life on this planet, except for us of course."

"And the bots," Alex added.

"What's a bot?" Olivia asked.

"It's short for robot, honey. It's a kind of machine that performs certain tasks that you program it to do."

"Can I have a robot?"

"I'll tell you what," Alex said, "if you're really good, I promise to get you a robot."

"So, dad," Kyodin said. "It's about that time again to go hunting. Now that your health is improved, will you be joining me?"

"I'd really like to, but I need to stay here and look after Olivia."

"I don't mind watching her," Alex offered.

"Are you sure?" Maxim asked.

"Of course," Alex said. "You two can enjoy some time together in the wilderness. The girls will stay here and find our own fun activities to do. Isn't that right, Olivia?"

Olivia beamed with joy and nodded heavily, displaying her approval.