Chapter Forty-Three

The couple had been living with the beast, which they had given it the name Monk, partly because it lived a solitary life in the mountains, but also because it looked like a giant monkey.

The creature showed a gentle, hospitable side, living with the couple and helping them in various ways. It even followed them to the ship and helped carry gear back to the cave.

Once they became situated, they fell into a comfortable routine. As Monk became an integral part of their family, they were happy, exploring the new planet and getting the most out of each day together.

"Maxim I need to talk to you," Jacey said with a noticeable tremble in her voice. She was holding back her emotions and was on the brink of tears.

"Jacey, my sweet love, what's wrong?"

"I didn't want to worry you before, so I've been keeping something from you."

"What? What is it?"

"Maxim... I'm sick."

"What? We have technology that will make you better."

Jacey shook her head. "Unfortunately, there are some things that modern medicine and technology cannot cure. We knew this day would come eventually... one of us were bound to go first and leave the other behind."

"No," Maxim said simply in disbelief as he approached Jacey with open arms.

"Believe me, the fact that I've lived this long is a testament to our medicine and technology. It's about that time for me."

The two embraced firmly as they both sobbed uncontrollably.

"We've had a good life together, Maxim. You're a kind man who has been very good to me. You've provided a life for me that one can only dream about. But this chapter has to come to an end. I'll see you on the other side."

"How much longer?" Maxim spoke in a whisper, barely able to muster the words.

"A few months at the most."

Maxim was still holding onto his girl and when he heard the gut-wrenching news, he squeezed her even more tightly. She was right, they had been getting older in age and it was a reality they would eventually have to face. Maxim had given it some thought, but did not want to dwell on it. In some ways, it was a blessing that she would go first. Whoever would die last would have a much more difficult life on the planet alone. Monk was still alive and looked as spry as the day they had met him. He did not seem to age at all.

Being a rational thinker, Maxim quickly came to terms with the news. He withdrew from Jacey and told her he loved her very much.

"You have given me a complete life," he said. "I will cherish you until my final days on this planet as well."

***

In the final months together, Jacey mostly remained in bed. Her sickness had become worse over time, leaving her debilitated and weakened. Maxim remained close by her side at all times to tend to her every beck and call. When the time was near, Maxim called Monk to be with them as well. Together, huddled around Jacey, Maxim wept as Monk looked noticeably saddened as well.

"I want you to know how much I truly love you, Maxim," Jacey said with a soft voice. "My only regret is that we did not produce any children together. I would have loved to see them grow up and play."

Jacey wheezed as it was becoming difficult for her to speak. As her last breath escaped her lungs, she uttered her final words, "Live without regrets."

Jacey's blank eyes stared up at him and Maxim felt her life slip away. A moment of sadness was shared between he and Monk, a moment they had both prepared for, but when the time had come, they were rocked to their cores with an inconsolable grief.

As it was tradition on Earth, Monk and Maxim buried Jacey in her favourite pasture. With a quivering chin, Maxim said a few words and then laid a bouquet of flowers next to her grave.

***

Time continued to move along for Maxim and Monk, but there was a noticeable void in both of their lives. Reliving their time together, Maxim developed a great appreciation for a woman whom had provided him with so much. He recalled the last few moments 'My only regret is that we did not produce any children together. I would have loved to see them grow up and play.'

Maxim had all the technology and even the frozen embryos to produce children made with his and Jacey's DNA, and it was something he had considered for many years prior to doing it. He thought about the risks and the challenges, but opted that having a family of his own was something that had slipped through his grasp at one point in his life. He did not want to die with that regret, so he made the choice to produce a single child — a boy he would call Kyodin.