Chapter Thirty-Seven

After a few days of travel, Maxim and Jacey happened upon a breathtaking ravine that was surrounded by lush mountains and a stream of crystal clear water running through it. The couple set down their gear and crouched by the stream to slurp up the cold mountain liquid. The sun was setting so they didn't have a lot of time to rest, but they were exhausted and in desperate need of a break.

"This place is spectacular," Jacey commented, splashing water on her face.

"It has everything we need too," Maxim said. "These mountains will offer us protection from the elements, fresh water, and it's in a close enough proximity to the Pegasus."

"With some luck, we may even be able to forage for some food among the trees."

Carrying some basic supplies, Maxim and Jacey continued to hike up the side of the ravine with hopes of finding a cave of some sort where they could camp for the night.

The higher they climbed, they realized just how valuable of a spot this was.

"I think this mountain is hollow," Maxim said.

"That would be fantastic, but you know the saying, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Heeding Jacey's advice, Maxim remained cautiously optimistic as he approached one of the cave openings. He kept a constant lookout for predators, but it was too dark to see, including the animal tracks in the dirt.

"Stay back," Maxim warned. "I'll go in first and make sure it's safe."

Jacey was nervous to be on her own, even if it was for her own good. She took out her weapon and gripped it tightly. Under the darkening lavender sky, she had an uneasy feeling consume her. Much like Maxim had been doing, Jacey was on constant watch, looking over her shoulders every five seconds.

All of the sudden, Maxim came charging out of the cave, screaming like a raging lunatic.

"Jacey, run!" he screamed.

Before she had time to react, she watched a large beast follow Maxim out of the cave and pounce on him. The oversized ape-like creature pinned him to the floor and growled ferociously. Pure instinct took over and without hesitation, Jacey held her weapon high and pulled the trigger. Sensing her presence, the beast looked up and managed to get out of the way of the blast.

With Maxim down and incapacitated, the beast set its eyes on Jacey. It charged forward and leaped through the air, covering the distance between them in seconds. At the last minute, Jacey activated her force field and the beast slammed into it. It circled around her, looking for a way in, and became frustrated when its powerful swipes couldn't get through to her. The beast roared again and eventually backed off.

Jacey had dealt with her fair share of frightening situations in the past couple of days, but that didn't make this one any easier to deal with. With Maxim down and out, it was up to her to think clearly and be a leader. She ran over to him and encased him under the protective cover of the field.

Maxim wasn't hurt too badly, he was just a bit rattled. Fortunately, his suit of armour saved him. Jacey tended to his needs.

"I got you, hun," she said, propping up his head from the dirt. "It's going to be okay."

"The beast," Maxim groaned, "what's it doing?"

Jacey looked over her shoulder to see what the large creature was up to. By her account, it seemed to have calmed down as its demeanour had switched from aggressive to curious.

"He's just looking at our gear," she said, continuing to watch the animal. "It seems to be intelligent. Should I blast it?"

"No, try to communicate with it."

"Hey!" Jacey said, attracting the beast's attention. "We come in peace."

The beast stood upright and walked over to the couple. Its towering figure was imposing, but Jacey knew that she was protected. She stood up as well to face the beast. To her surprise, it no longer acted aggressively. It almost seemed as though it felt bad for attacking. It crouched down to be at eye level with her and gently extended its paw until it became pressed up against the force field. Jacey did the same, reaching out with her hand. Her hand went through the field on her end and she came into contact with the alien creature.

"Be careful," Maxim said. "It could be a trick."