Chapter Forty-Seven

Archimedes had a spot that he called home, which was located on the outskirts of the city. It had been his place of residence for the past half century. He led the way as the three walked back through the streets; through the glass jungle.

"I had been tracking you ever since you passed through my sensors," Archimedes said.

"You were either food or a threat. Either way I wanted to find you."

"You look good for your age," Maxim commented.

"Good genetics," Archimedes said with a smirk.

"Ronan, I thought you were dead," Maxim paused. "The obvious question to ask is... what happened that night when they machines came? How did you survive?"

"When the machines came," Archimedes began, speaking in a calm yet remorseful tone, "I heard the screams... I can still hear them. I remember the event like it happened yesterday. I jumped out of bed and checked the security feed. It was a slaughter. As much as I would have liked to stay and fight, it was too late. There was nothing I could have done. And then they came for me. I slipped through an escape hatch and exited the ship. I had nothing, not even shoes on my feet. Call me a coward, but there were just too many of them and I would have been useless."

"It's okay, Ronan, I don't blame you."

"Before I left," Archimedes said. "I checked the feed to your room and you were safe. My plan was to lay low for the night and rendezvous with you in the morning. I was hopeful that the machines would be gone by then. But when I returned to the ship, there was nobody left. I got dressed and took as much food and equipment as I could carry before setting off on my own. I've been living out here for the past... I don't even know how long. I've stopped keeping track. If I had to guess, it has been about forty years."

"It has been sixty, my friend."

"My gosh, I had no idea it has been that long. It has been so long since I have had a conversation with someone. You have no idea how good it feels to see you again."

"The feeling is mutual, my friend."

"You haven't aged a day. In fact, you look younger. How have you maintained your health? Have you discovered a fountain of youth?"

"My genetics have been reprogrammed."

"Can you do the same for me?"

"Of course."

The trio weaved through a maze of buildings until they eventually arrived at Archimedes' home. Everything was grand as it was built for beings much larger than humans. Now standing in the entrance, a light performed a 360 degree scan on Archimedes, and then a door slid open.

"You've done quite well for yourself," Maxim commented.

"I've had a lot of time."

Entering through the entrance, the three were greeted by a soothing light. Maxim had never seen the inside of an alien building before and until recently, didn't even know the city existed. He was fascinated at how similar everything was to interiors he had seen on Earth. Archimedes' flat was lavish and was filled with all kinds of strange gadgets. He had random components and circuits strewn about.

"Please excuse the mess, I wasn't expecting company," he joked.

"It's quite alright."

"Can I offer you two anything to eat or drink?"

"Yes, please," Maxim said. "Whatever you have would be greatly appreciated."

"Right away, sir... sorry, old habits die hard."