Chapter Sixty

Alex emerged last and stumbled out of the transporter. This time, her father was there to catch her.

"It doesn't get any easier," she said, coughing as she gasped for her first inhalation of Earth air in months.

Before she had time to gather her wits, she looked around to make sure everyone made it through safely.

"How was it, Kyo?" Alex asked.

"It was a strange feeling, and I cannot believe I'm on Earth. I have this weird feeling in my stomach. Is that normal?"

"It may be butterflies," Alex said.

"Butterflies. I like that. What are butterflies?"

"It's a fluttering feeling people get in their stomach when they are overly anxious about something. It's completely normal."

"Oh yes, I've had that before. I have butterflies."

"Olivia, how are you doing?" Alex asked.

"I feel a bit funny."

"You look a bit funny too," Alex teased as she tickled her sister.

"Dad, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Alex. We all waited in here for you. Let's go show them the world, shall we?"

"The last time I was here was six months ago," Alex said. "If my calculations are correct, then it has only been three days on Earth."

"That's weird to think about," Maxim said.

"Let's hope nothing too crazy has occurred in my absence over the past few days."

"I'm sure everything will be fine."

"Famous last words," Alex smirked.

The family exited the transporter room and saw the writing on the wall. In large spray-painted letters were the statements, 'Down with the New World Order' and, 'Arlon Van Buren is evil.' The graffiti was a bit of a shock to both Alex and Maxim.

Kyodin didn't know any better. He was overloaded with visual sense data. Looking around the room, he touched all the furniture and the fixtures. He picked up ordinary objects that most people would take for granted, showing an utter fascination toward everything. He then went over to the window, which had been smashed out, and looked down at the garden.

"Did something go wrong with the jump?" Alex asked.

"Not sure," Maxim said.

Thinking they may have come back too far into the future, they both looked around for clues.

"Hiro, show me the news."

"Welcome home, sir," an automated voice spoke. "We missed you."

"What was that?" Kyodin asked.

"It's my automated assistant."

Instantly, several news broadcasts were projected on the wall in a grid. At the top of the projection were the date and time, including the weather forecast for the week. Just as Alex had calculated, only three days had passed.

"Hiro, expand E3," Maxim commanded.

A video playing in the lower part of the grid expanded to full view.

"Hiro, increase the volume."

Maxim and his children gathered together to watch and listen to the large projection on the wall. The broadcast showed Arlon Van Buren being arrested and brought into custody.

"It didn't take long for the people to react to the news of Arlon Van Buren rigging the election. He was arrested earlier this morning on charges of corruption, vote tampering, and illicit use of authority. Experts predict this will just be the beginning of a long list of charges. There has been no response yet by Van Buren, but we are told he is set for trial at the end of the month. This situation has a lot of people demanding reform on the current political system, claiming that the idea of a Leader is an antiquated notion carried over from less sophisticated times. With Maxim Morrison still missing in action, the world may never see another Leader take office. It is truly a historical turn of events that have taken place this past year – events that are sure to make a lasting impact for generations to come..."

"Do you still remember your password for your computer?" Alex asked.

"Of course, 'Pegasus2099'."

"Good," Alex said. "I could have hacked into it, but out of respect and the interest of saving time, I thought it'd be best for you to just access it."

"Why do you want to know my password?" Maxim asked.

Alex set the large chair upright and sat down at Maxim's computer station. "I want to right a wrong," she said.

"What do you mean?" Maxim inquired.

Alex sat in the Leader's chair and accessed the government database. Once inside, she had the entire bank of records on every person available to her.

"What are you doing?"

"Arlon manipulated people by implanting thoughts in their heads. The power of suggestion is a powerful tool and that's how he swayed the vote in his favour."

"Yes, but that data is not hardwired. It's nothing more than a visceral reaction to a person. With proper rationale, one can override this suggestion. As was evident in his arrest this morning."

With an intense focus on the holograms in front of her, Alex bypassed several security protocols at a blistering speed.

"Alex, what are you doing?" Kyodin asked. "Olivia and I are getting restless. We want to see the world."

"This will only take a second."

After a few minutes she said, "There, it has been done."

"What has been done?" Maxim said.

"I gave myself a fresh start."

"What does that mean?"

"Using Arlon's method of implanting ideas into people's heads, I made it so my name and face will be erased from everyone's mind."

"What? Alex, why did you do that?"

"I want anonymity. Now I will just be another nameless face in the crowd. I can do the same thing for you as well."

"Alex, I don't know what to say?"

"You heard the people — they no longer need a Leader. I have enough money to last us a very long time and I know an island that we can all live in peace. We can spend time in the city when we want to be surrounded by people and enjoy entertainment, and then go to the island when we want to relax."

"It sounds appealing, but I was the Leader of the New World — there will be records."

"Digital records, which can be erased," Alex said. "I can also dispatch a worldwide cleanup crew to remove every image or poster with your face on it."

"I don't know what to say... you've put me on the spot."

"Think about this as the best of both worlds... literally."

"You want to become invisible?"

"If we're going to live in a world with invisible people, I want to be one of them. Of course, this only works on people connected to the grid. Fortunately, my friends and family are not among those people. A small percentage of people will still know who we are, but like I said, it's a chance to have a fresh start."

"I don't know."

"Where is the resistance coming from?" she asked. "Two days ago you were content to live on Titan for the rest of your life."

"What about my legacy?" Maxim asked.

"That's your ego talking. The only legacy that should matter to you now is standing in this room."