Chapter Fifty-Nine

The overnight trek required extensive hiking on day one, and took up most of the sunlight on day two. To make good time, they pushed a fast pace and walked the last hour through the dense jungle in the dark. Their lights bounced around and when the brush began to thin out, they saw the enormous Pegasus, resting gracefully in the middle of nowhere.

"It never ceases to amaze me," Maxim said.

"When was the last time you were here?" Archimedes asked.

"A few months ago when Alex arrived. I nearly died on that trip."

"As did I," Alex said.

The crew stopped to take in the nostalgia before continuing passed the ship and toward the cave.

'You're always welcome to come back to Earth with us, Monk,' Alex said. 'My father is a very powerful man. You will have a good life. We can offer you protection and perhaps even transfer your mind into the body of a human clone.'

'Thank you for the offer, but this is my home. For now I will stay here.'

'The legacy of your people and planet will always be preserved on Earth.'

'Thank you. Be safe, Alex. It was a pleasure meeting you.'

Alex began to cry and hugged her big furry friend. 'I love you, Monk. Be well.'

Alex pulled back and said goodbye to Zeus. She opened the little hatch to reveal him and scratched him on the head with her finger. 'The same offer applies to you, friend.'

'I appreciate it very much, but I need to stay here on Enkara and do what I can to preserve our legacy.'

'Thank you for all your help. You too, Monk. I appreciate you both very much. You will be missed greatly.'

Alex turned to Archimedes and extended her hand. "It was nice seeing you again, I'll work on becoming wiser."

"You are plenty wise, Ms. Gray," Archimedes chuckled, shaking her hand. "Take care of yourself."

Alex stood by, wiping her tears as she watched Maxim hug his long-time friends Archimedes and Monk. Kyodin did the same, followed by Olivia. When it was time, they each waved goodbye and headed into the cave where the transporter was located.

Upon Alex's advice, Maxim went first so that he wouldn't back out at the last minute. The machine powered up and after a bright pulse of light, Maxim was gone. Kyodin was next and then Olivia. Finally, Alex was left alone in the dark and damp cave. In her last moments on the alien planet, she recalled her adventures. She remembered stumbling out of the transporter, standing in the same footprints and wondering what was beyond the walls of the cave. Without getting too sentimental, Alex stepped into the transporter and vanished in a flash.