Chapter Twenty-Eight

The group walked all the way up the valley until a rocky part of the mountain jutted out and obstructed the path. A large waterfall cascaded down the rock face and flowed into the creek. There didn't appear to be any other way around it. Maxim continued to walk toward the falls and then through the water. Alex watched on with interest. As Maxim stepped through, the water flowed around him as he was protected by his force field. Then he disappeared. There appeared to be a hidden passageway behind the waterfall that led into the mountain.

Kyodin and Alex stayed close together, following their dad's lead. They too were protected by a force field. When they stepped through, Alex could not help but to look up at the powerful water as it poured down and enveloped them. It was a neat experience for her.

Now entering the tunnel, the stone from Alex's necklace glowed, providing enough light so that they could see. Kyodin held his ring out, which also contained a glowing blue stone. Alex looked behind and saw Monk and Olivia coming through.

The tunnel was cool and damp, which was a relief from being out in the sun. After snaking through the side of the mountain, Alex could see the light at the other end. Once they reached the other side and stepped out, Alex saw a large green pasture with sparsely placed fruit trees, a bountiful garden, and strange-looking livestock.

Monk crouched low and allowed Olivia to climb off him. She ran around screaming and laughing as Kyodin playfully chased her around.

"Hey guys, who wants to play a game?" Maxim called out.

It was still a little weird for Alex to see her father — the former Leader of Earth — being just a regular dad. He was kind, playful, and very affectionate. It didn't fit her previously held view of him. She still harboured feelings of resentment toward him, but was trying to set aside her past issues and accept him for who he was in this new context. In all her encounters with him, he had always been gentle and kind.

Everyone gathered around Maxim as he explained the rules. It was an infinitesimally smaller group than what he was used to leading, but either way he was in his element.

"The game is called Sleeping Monster," Maxim said. "I'll explain it to Alex since it's likely her first time playing."

Alex had a genuine smile on her face. For the first time in a very long while, her mind was clear of any problems in her life. She was able to just be a regular person, playing a game with her family. It was something so minor in the grand scale of life, but it meant everything to her. She had yearned for a simple moment like this ever since she could remember. She wasn't thinking about her past, her accomplishments, the pressures of fame, saving the world... none of it. She was just truly living in the moment.

Alex was enjoying her time with her family and didn't want it to end. She even envisioned staying on Titan forever. If she could figure out a way to give Kyodin and Olivia the eternity hack, everyone could live happily ever after in this strange alien paradise.

"Okay, this is how you play," Maxim said. "Monk is going to lay in the field with his eyes closed and covering his ears. On his chest will be a flower. The first person to take the flower without waking the monster, wins."

Monk laid in the short grass, closed his eyes, and covered his ears. On his chest was a small flower that had recently been plucked from the pasture. The kids tried not to giggle as they tiptoed around him from all directions.

Still feeling a bit intimidated, Alex held back. She watched as Olivia snuck up to the large furry animal and reach down for the flower. Her face lit up with delight. Alex stopped in her tracks, paying close attention to round one of the game. She saw Monk's nose twitch, indicating that he was relying on his other faculties to sense the little girl's presence.

Olivia pinched the flower stem between her little fingers and began to retract. Just when she thought she was home free, she awoke the sleeping monster. Monk sprang up in a playful manner and began chasing everyone around. Olivia and Kyodin squealed with pure joy as they ran in all directions.

Alex was a little more apprehensive, and now with Monk charging at her, she was unsure what to do. She remained frozen with an irrational fear, and before she knew it, Monk had scooped her up in his powerful arms and was now carrying her around. As the gentle creature galloped around, cradling Alex in his soft fur, she slowly began to smile. Shortly after, Monk set her down and focused his attention of the other children.

Having a large yeti as a playmate was so common for the other children, but was so foreign to Alex. She had a hard time relaxing in that moment. Eventually, Monk resumed his position in the grass with the flower on his chest, ready for another round.