Chapter Twenty-Nine

Maxim Morrison's journey from being the former Leader of Earth to traversing the depths of space was ambitious, and now he was about to reach his destination.

Years prior, the Leader's team had deployed several thousand beacons that scoured the universe in search of another Goldilocks planet — a planet that orbits within a habitable zone in relation to its neighbouring star. One of the beacons found what it was looking for, and sent data back to Earth. High-res photographs and atmospheric scans provided detailed information of the planet's composition, size, and location.

The crew eventually lost communication with the beacon before it was determined whether the planet harboured intelligent life. It had always been an interesting proposition to travel there, but the idea was never fully entertained. That all changed after it appeared the world would soon come to an end. Maxim made arrangements to build a self-sustaining ship known as the Pegasus that would carry him and a small crew of highly skilled individuals. Construction of the project took nearly twenty years and cost taxpayers millions. The Pegasus was equipped with all the necessary equipment for survival and colonization from a diverse collection of plants and animals to advanced weapons and biotech suits. Maxim often referred to the mission as the greatest in the history of human civilization.

Aboard the Pegasus, Maxim Morrison had a childlike sense of wonder as he gazed upon a previously undiscovered planet. The tiny dot floating in the cosmos was roughly the size of Earth, but it looked like a swirling purple marble. On Earth, they had only ever seen a golden sky, as well as a blue sky from the digital archives. Early on, it was already clear that things were going to be different than what they were used to.

"What do you think, sir?" Agent Archimedes asked.

"It looks absolutely incredible."

"I believe congratulations are in order, sir. I'll notify the rest of the crew."

It would be several days before they were even close enough to descend upon the planet, but for the first time they were able to see it with their own eyes. Being in such close proximity to the planet, Maxim attempted to reconnect with the lost beacon.

Agent Archimedes returned with the rest of the crew and they all funneled into the main deck to set their eyes upon the newly discovered planet. People were cheering and hugging each other in excitement and celebration. This went on for several minutes.

"Wow, look at that," someone said in awe.

"I don't believe my eyes."

"Ladies and gentlemen," Maxim said, settling the room to deliver an important speech. "Thank you all for being a part of this journey," he began, connecting eyes with everyone in the room. "Aboard this vessel are some of the best and brightest minds our world has ever known. Among us are physicists, mathematicians, architects, scientists, doctors, and survivalists. We each bring a unique set of skills to this mission and I will rely heavily on your expertise throughout the coming days as we prepare to become acquainted with our new home planet."

The crowd once again erupted in cheers and applause. Several people patted the backs of their fellow crew mates, congratulating each other on this monumental occasion.

"As many of you can see, we have come across a new planet in a distant solar system — previously undiscovered by humankind and full of endless discovery. In the next several days, we'll attempt to reconnect with our beacon and see what we can learn. We will also send probes to survey the planet," Maxim paused, "and when the time comes, we will make contact."

Everyone cheered. The energy in the room was the highest it had been in a very long time. Most of the crew had been getting a bit disheartened and a little stir crazy, and some even questioned the validity of the mission altogether. Now with the discovery of a new planet, the levels of excitement rose.

"It's good to see you happy, sir," Agent Archimedes said, coming over to congratulate the captain and Leader, Maxim Morrison.

"I've accomplished more in this life than I ever thought possible," Maxim said with pride.

"Your life has been blessed in many ways, sir."

"There's something happening here, agent," Maxim said, shifting his tone from happiness to reflection. "Something that's much greater than an exploration into the unknown. We're the torch bearers for all humankind — representatives from a bygone civilization, seeking refuge. Approaching this mission from that context has a more profound effect on me. The Earth we left behind will soon rot into a state of depravity. I envision much despair and death there now, and in the years to come, I wouldn't expect there to be much of anything left. Those who survived would be nomadic, roaming around an apocalyptic wasteland. It's certainly no place to live."

"What about your daughter, sir?"

"Alex is very strong, like her mother—"

"And her father," Agent Archimedes added.

"I appreciate that. She is very determined and strong willed. When she sets her mind to something, there is almost nothing that can get in her way. You saw her, she hijacked a pod and rushed back to her people like some sort of righteous superhero."

"You disagree with what she did?" the agent asked.

"It was a suicide mission. Sometimes the wisest thing you can do is knowing when to walk away. The bravest soldiers in battle are often the first ones to get killed — they're too reckless for their own good."

"It's a shame really, her tenacity and intelligence was admirable. I wish she could have stayed with us, at least for your sake."

"I agree, agent. She will be missed dearly."

"Perhaps one day you can have more children, sir. You can lead them to follow your greatness."

"It's a nice thought agent, but it probably won't happen in this lifetime."

"Then it will have to wait until another."