Chapter Thirty

As the Pegasus floated silently above the rotating orb, Maxim couldn't help but feel a sense of awe. Swirling vortexes of purple and other weather patterns dazzled as curtains of light sparkled against the dark sky. The colossal planet slowly rotated underneath the ship, nearly filling his entire field of vision. It seemed so close that he could almost reach out and touch it. They had covered the necessary distance and were just waiting on further analyses to come back. They wanted to take every reasonable precaution before charging ahead into the unknown.

"Sir, if I may," one of the crew members interrupted Maxim's gaze.

"Certainly," Maxim said, turning to face him.

"It seems the ionosphere is too dense for our instruments to get a proper reading. It's shielding the planet and preventing the crew from obtaining any useful data."

"What about the probes we sent?" Maxim asked.

"Still unresponsive."

Maxim inhaled deeply and returned his gaze outward. He took a few moments of reflection and said, "Prepare the crew for entry."

"Sir, may I suggest we start by sending a pod?" one of the crew members said.

"Who shall I assign for that mission, Rick? You?"

"If those are your orders, sir, then I will carry them out with honour. If not me, surely someone will have the courage to venture on their own. After all, is that not the purpose for having the pods?"

"If the communication is severed once the pod penetrates the atmosphere, what would be the point of sending them?"

"They can return and re-board the ship."

"No, the gravitational pull is too strong, the pod will never be able to breach the atmosphere. Only a ship the size of the Pegasus has the thrusters capable of offsetting the gravity. It's all of us, or none of us."

"Very well then, we'll go together."

Without even being able to tell what the surface looked like or what dangers the foreign land presented, they decided to take their chances. They were operating blindly, which posed as a huge risk, but Maxim figured taking the entire ship would be the safest option.

Once the order was given, the crew rushed to their posts and prepared for descent. Maxim and Archimedes were at the helm, piloting the ship.

"Buckle up, folks, this may be a bumpy ride."

The thrusters engaged, propelling the massive craft toward the planet. A slow rumbling began, vibrating the crew to their cores. Through the ship's front windshield, an array of colours painted their view.

Maxim and Archimedes gritted their teeth as they bounced around in their seats. The loud rumble was deafening, and the g-force was immense. With his hearing and vision impaired, Maxim felt a little helpless. Cosmic winds and debris shook the craft upon entry.

As they approached, all they could see was a purple gas that consumed the ship like a thick fog. They had breached the atmosphere and were now being pulled down by the planet's mighty gravitational pull. The anti-gravity scramblers switched on to minimize the force, as several large thrusters counteracted the drag and kept the craft stable. The friction from the atmospheric particles increased the internal temperature of the craft, causing beads of sweat to drip down the faces of the crew.

Eventually, the craft penetrated the gases and for the first time, the planet's landscape could be seen. Soaring above the clouds, Maxim looked out the window and saw oceans of purple water, vast mountain ranges, and what appeared to be a dense jungle. His excitement grew, but there had yet to be any signs of intelligent life. There was no infrastructure, no roads, and no planes or satellites in the sky.

The thrusters on the Pegasus rotated, positioning the ship to land in a clearing amid the dense rainforest. From the windows, the crew studied their new home with keen eyes. Some were more apprehensive than others, but the general feelings were of excitement and optimism.

Maxim studied the topography to determine a strategy for exploration. In the distance, there was some kind of liquid. With a little luck, it would serve as a source for clean drinking water. The trees and atmosphere were positive signs as well. If the planet was anything like Earth, it would be rich in oxygen and viable food sources.

As the ship made its slow and steady descent, it finally touched down. After a heavy jolt, they had successfully landed on another planet, becoming the first humans in history to do so.