Chapter Fifty-Eight

Alex led the way up the wooden walkway with a hurried pace. By now, the sky had become dark and the gorgeous moon was in full view, providing just enough light for them to see.

Alex crossed the bridge like she had done so many times in the past and saw Monk standing on the other side holding Olivia's hand. Alex was so happy to see them both again.

"Where's Kyodin?" she asked with a detectable panic in her voice.

Just then, Kyodin appeared in the doorway eating a piece of fruit.

"Did I have you worried?" Kyodin said with a sly grin.

"Kyodin, I'm so glad you're alive," Alex said, racing over and wrapping her arms around him tightly.

"Easy," Kyodin said, feeling smothered by Alex's love. "I just had a shower and you're all kinds of sweaty."

"Sorry."

"It's good to see you too, sis."

"I saw what you did single-handedly to that army of bots. That was incredible. Well done."

"Thanks. It got a little sketchy at times, but I survived."

Alex turned to her little sister just as Olivia ran up to her and jumped in her arms. Alex hoisted her up and gave her a big kiss on the cheek.

"Sorry, I'm a little dirty," she said. "I hope you don't mind the smell."

"I don't mind," Olivia said, wrapping her arms around Alex's neck and resting her head on Alex's shoulder.

Still carrying Olivia, Alex turned to face Monk. 'Mr. Monk, good to see you again. Thank you for taking care of Olivia.'

'You're welcome. Good to see you as well.'

"Are you two speaking with each other?" Maxim asked.

"Yes," Alex replied with a playful laugh. "Is there anything you'd like to ask him?"

"Ask him what's for dinner."

'My dad wants to know what's for dinner,' Alex said with a smile.

'Tell him I made a traditional Enkara dish. It's a recipe my mother used to make.'

***

The next morning everyone gathered for breakfast, feeling clean, rested, and refreshed.

"How does it feel to know this is your last day on Titan?" Alex asked her brother.

"I have mixed emotions. I am obviously very excited to see Earth. It has been a dream of mine for many years, but I am also a bit anxious to live a life that is so different than the one I'm used to."

"We have a phrase for that back home, it's called 'culture shock' — it's bound to happen, but it should pass with time. Earth has a lot of amazing qualities and there are many parts that are just as beautiful as Titan. If you want to live a similar life, it is possible."

"That's a relief. I'm also feeling a bit sad to leave this place behind."

"Yeah, that's understandable. How about you, Olivia; how are you feeling about going to another planet?"

Olivia shrugged her shoulders and continued to pick at her food.

"What are you going to miss the most?"

"Is Zeus coming with us?" Olivia asked.

"I'm not sure. I'll have to discuss that with him and father."

Alex turned to her father and saw a look that suggested that it wasn't a good idea.

"What about you, dad? How are you feeling about going back to Earth?"

"My feelings echo the sentiments that have already been mentioned. I feel anxious, sad, and excited all at the same time."

"There's no reason why you can't come back to this place. Think of it as your vacation getaway, your cabin in the woods."

"What about you, Archimedes?" Alex asked.

"I'm staying," he said.

"Seriously? Why?" Alex said with a contemptuous tone.

"You make it seem like this place is a hell hole."

"What's a hell hole?" Kyodin asked.

"A very bad place," Maxim responded.

"Despite the attack yesterday, this place has a lot to offer. And once you guys move out of this place, I intend to take it over."

"What about your family and friends back home?"

"I've been an agent for longer than you've been alive. Outside of Maxim, I don't have any family or friends. I dedicated my whole life to my career. Having lived the past few decades on my own, I've grown accustomed to that lifestyle. It seems to suit me just fine. Sure it gets lonely, but I've made some new friends that can help me bring my crew back. Maybe they can even help me develop a clone of myself and implant my mind into a new body. It may not be the same as what you guys have, but it's a satisfactory workaround."

After breakfast, the gang gathered their belongings and set off down the ravine. When they reached the bottom, they looked back at their home one last time before trekking through the terrain toward their abandoned ship.