Chapter Fifty-Two

Kyodin zipped through the sky completely exposed to the bots detection. While his father wanted him to take the Jacey stone and flee, Kyodin had a better idea. He was using his exposure to lure the bots toward him and thus drawing the heat away from Maxim and Archimedes.

"Kyodin, it's me, Alex," she said frantically. Her voice poured into the headset built into Kyodin's suit.

"Alex?" he replied confused and surprised. "How are you able to contact me?"

"It's more than that, Kyo. I can see you as well."

"What? How?"

"That's not important. Where is father? Is he alright?"

"Last I checked he was fine. He's helping his friend who's quite old."

"Helping who? What friend?" Alex asked, taken aback.

"You know what? I forget his name already. It was long — Arckem something or other."

"Archimedes?" Alex asked.

"Yes, that's it. Do you know him?"

"You could say that."

"I can say what?"

"Never mind. Look, where are you headed now?"

Kyodin was carving through the landscape, rolling over mounds of rock, through pastures of tall grass, and across rivers. He was going as fast as he could while remaining mindful of the pursuing bots.

"I'm trying to lure the bots away from father and Archem... sorry, forgot again."

"Archimedes."

"Yes, him. I lost my Jacey stone so I'm completely exposed. The bots can see me, but not father and... that other guy."

"Can you make it back to the house? You'll be safe there."

"I can try."

"Make sure you're not being followed."

"That was kind of the whole point... to be followed."

"We can't let these machines know where we live."

"Got it. I'll stand my ground and fight them."

"No, Kyodin, that's not what I meant!"

"Too late, Alex. I gotta go."

Kyodin slowed to a stop and turned around to face the approaching army. The sky filled with droids. They were accompanied by ground bots as well, many of which Kyodin had never seen before. As the bots were quickly gaining ground, Kyodin prepared for the onslaught.

Still watching over Kyodin, Alex recalled some advice her mother had given her, and she relayed the message to her brother. "Kyo, never give up, there's always a way out."

"Thanks, Alex."

"Be careful, Kyo."

"Aren't I always?"

"As a matter of fact, no you're not. Remember that time when you were killed?"

"Oh yeah! Actually, that gives me a good idea. I'm going to kill as many of these damn alien bots as I can and then I'm going to relocate back to base. That may be the only way they won't be able to follow me. I just need to find a spot to stash my suit and I'll come back for it later."

"Kyodin, you may not need your suit anymore."

"Why not?"

"I'm taking you to Earth."

"Really? That's so cool!"

"I'm glad you're excited because I may need your help convincing father."

"Why won't he go?"

"He likes it here. I've been here for months waiting for the right time to bring everyone back. Now seems like that time."

"Why is that?"

"Whatever you guys have done, you've disturbed the hornets' nest."

"What's a hornets' nest?"

"I'll show you when we get back to Earth."

"Deal."

"Kyodin, I'm not at home right now. I'm with Olivia and Monk... and Zeus. They are..." Alex paused as she was deciding how much of the backstory Kyodin needed to know. "...actually, it's not important right now. I'll explain everything later. I'm going to get father and bring him back to the cave."

"Okay, Alex. Be safe."

"You too."