Chapter Thirty-One

Maxim took Alex on a tour of his garden while the others continued to play in the field. It was a chance for the two to pick up where they had left off from the previous night and a chance for Alex to get some much needed answers.

"So do you call this the garden of Eden?" Alex asked.

"Something like that," Maxim said, standing by a tall leafy plant. "Come here, I want to show you something."

Alex came closer and saw what her father was trying to show her. Nestled under a leaf was a strange little insect with a body that resembled a small person with the legs of a grasshopper. Its face looked like an insect, with large bulging eyes and long antennae.

"We call this a leprechaun hopper."

"I can see why," Alex said. "Are they friendly?"

"Nearly everything on this planet wants to kill us, but these guys are actually good for my garden and completely harmless to humans. They help keep other pests away."

"Are these tomatoes?" Alex asked, spotting a familiar looking plant.

"Indeed. A lot of these plants come from seeds that originated on Earth. We brought large quantities over and then reuse the seeds. We have tomatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, cilantro, kale... you name it, we probably have it. The great thing is that this place gets a lot of sun, but being so close to the ocean, it rains a lot as well."

"What are these?" Alex said, pointing to another plant. "I've never seen these before."

"Once in a while we come across fruit and vegetables that are native to this planet. After we analyze it with our sensors and conduct the necessary tests on it, we cultivate it here. Roughly eighty percent of this crop is derived from Earth seeds, the rest are from Titan. As you know, we need to be careful when introducing plants or animals into a foreign environment, it can have drastic consequences."

"It seems like you've blended in well with the environment," Alex said. "You've even managed to become friendly with the local wildlife. Monk is amazing with the kids."

"My guess is that his species had been genetically modified to be protectors of humans... or whatever version of human that lived on this planet. He is incredibly loyal and completely docile to his friends."

"I'm not so sure," Alex said. "I get the sense that Monk's species lived alongside the 'humans' of this planet... as equals."

"Why do you say that?" Maxim asked.

"He's independent, intelligent, a free thinker... why would anyone breed or create a beast of his size that doesn't obey them."

"He does obey me."

"No, he is your friend, your equal, and he protects you. It's not because you own him. This notion of human dominance and ownership may be completely alien concepts on this planet. Don't believe me. Try throwing a collar around his neck and see what happens."

"Maybe you're right."

Taking in the landscape, Alex took a deep breath before asking a sensitive question.

"Forgive me for being direct, but I've been dying to ask you something."

"Of course, Alexandra. You can ask me anything."

"I need to know why you left."

"Left Earth?"

"No, left your pregnant girlfriend," Alex said, holding back tears. "Why did you leave me?" As soon as the words left her mouth, there were too many emotions for her to handle and she began sobbing. Maxim put his arms around her and gave her a hug.