Chapter Thirty-Five

Jacey and Maxim were distraught over Andrew's death, perhaps even more so than the others since they felt a little more guilt. They each handled his death in different ways. Maxim went down by the water to skip rocks and think about his next move while Jacey sat on the shoreline, revisiting fond memories of her now deceased husband.

Maxim turned around and saw Jacey with her head buried in her knees. She was sobbing quite hard. Even though she and her former husband had grown apart as a couple, she still had strong feelings toward him. Maxim walked up the shoreline and sat next to her.

"I'm so sorry, Jacey," he said, putting his arm around her. "It's going to be okay, I promise. We'll figure this out."

Jacey's vulnerability played a huge role in her emotions. She regretted having come to this strange world and wished she had just taken her chances on a desolate Earth.

"You know we can't go back there, right?" Maxim said. "These are the cards we've been dealt and we have to make the best of our situation."

Through sniffling sobs, Jacey concurred.

"I have no idea what the hell attacked Andrew, but whatever it was, I won't let it get us, okay?"

"We're going to die here, aren't we?" Jacey asked.

"Only of old age. The machines, or whatever those things were that breached the ship and took our crew... I don't think they can see us as long as we are holding this stone."

"Is that the stone I found?"

"Yes, I think we should name it a Jacey stone. What do you think?"

Jacey gave a half-hearted smile.

"I think we should carry on until we find some shelter. A cave would be nice. Something that protects us from the elements.

"What about the gear from the ship?"

"No sense lugging it around with us. Once we find a spot, we'll go back for it."