28. The Oblivious One

Haruka POV

"AKAASHI!" Bokuto calls out across the hallway and the two of us remain silent.

I can't believe I'm stuck in a closet with Keiji! Besides, what's with this position?! One of his hands is on my back pulling me close to him because his closet is super cramped. Not to mention, I'm basically leaning onto his chest. This is so embarrassing!

Keiji looks into his room peeking through a small space in the door.

"What's going--?" I try to ask him.

Keiji puts a finger to my lips. "Shhh..."

My heart starts to race. Am I nervous that we might get caught together or am I nervous that I'm this close to Keiji???

"AKAASHI! TIME TO EAT!" Bokuto shouts as he slams the bedroom door open. "Eh? He's not here?" Bokuto says, surprised. He looks around the room and shrugs. "Hm. I guess he's gonna miss out on the food. More food for me then!"

Bokuto runs back off and the two of us sigh. That was such a close call...I don't ever want to experience it again. 

I glance over to Keiji and see him slightly troubled by the sudden events. "Hey...Do you ever plan to tell the team that we're step-siblings?" I quietly ask.

"...No," Keiji answers, "It would be complicated."

"I know, but how long can we keep hiding it?" I question. "I don't think we can hide it for much longer. We'll be caught one day," I admit, "And besides, don't you want to find yourself an actual girlfriend? I know there are a lot of girls in our grade who like you. Maybe even Kaori, she's a cute girl too--"

"Why are you telling me to find myself a girlfriend?" Keiji suddenly asks.

"It's because you're a good guy," I admit. "I just want you to be happy with a girl you like. I don't think we should keep up with this lie just so we can keep everything a secret. I don't want to pull you down in the future."

"Pull me down?" Keiji mumbles and lifts my chin. My eyes widen seeing the sadness in his eyes.

Why does he look so hurt by my words?

"Please don't say you want me to be happy with a girl I like when you know nothing about me," Keiji says and opens the closet to get out.

My heart drops. "Hey, I didn't mean it like that, it's just--"

I didn't know what else to say because he was completely right. I thought I knew him because we were starting to become closer but I realize I still know nothing about him.

"Hey Kaori, where's the bathroom again?" Someone shouts.

"To the right," I hear another shout.

Keiji and I freeze. That voice?!

"I don't--" The person stops and our eyes widen as we accidentally make eye contact with Bokuto.

"Ehhhhhh?!?!" Bokuto shouts as he points at the two of us. "How long were you here??? I was looking for you Akaashi, and I even checked your bedroom but you weren't there! And Haruka, why are you with Akaashi?!"

Our faces pale. The door was open earlier because of Bokuto when he came in earlier and now he found us in the room together.

Hiding in the closet was for nothing...

Everyone rushes into the room after hearing Bokuto's uproar.

"Bokuto, what's wrong--? Huh?!" Komi shouts in surprise when he sees the two of us together.