37. No Longer a Lie

Keiji POV

"Keiji, I want to end our fake relationship," Haruka declares and I stare at her surprised.

"Why?" I ask as my heart starts to race waiting for her next words.

When I saw her text message, I found it odd that she would call me up here of all places, but I didn't bother to ask. Yet now I'm starting to feel anxious.

"Uh, well..." Haruka awkwardly scratches the back of her neck. "I know it's been a long time since you know you uh... confessed. You told me to think about it, and I thought about it for a long time."

"So you were thinking about me this entire time," I tease to ease the tension and Haruka blushes.

"Not the entire time!" Haruka barks and I chuckle.

"Anyways," Haruka clears her throat. "When we first met, you wanted to keep our relationship as step-siblings a secret and we ended up being in a fake relationship," Haruka explains. "I honestly hated it at first. You were an annoying know-it-all with a cool composure. It bothered me so much that I even tried to get revenge by getting Haru to attack you."

I sweatdrop. The idea of getting an owl to attack me as revenge was honestly absurd, but I don't want to bluntly tell her that now.

"Yet in the beginning, I only focused on your bad sides..." Haruka says as she awkwardly slides her hand on her arm. "Over time, I started to see you in different ways. You're kind and selfless. You're always there to help me when I need it, and never once have I heard you ever complain At most you tease me, but even I know you don't really mean it."

"..." I don't say a word, not wanting to interrupt Haruka in any kind of way.

Haruka's face flush bright red. "W-What I'm trying to say is... I don't want to continue this fake relationship because... I-I like you," Haruka stammers. "I know there will be challenges that we'll have to face like telling mom and dad, but I want to be with you and I don't think I can be with anyone else without thinking about you because... I-I love you," Haruka says with a sweet smile.

My eyes widen. "...Say it again."

"Huh?! I said it clearly though," Haruka says confused.

"I know, but you made me wait. If anything, I want you to tell me again," I state, but honestly I couldn't believe what I just heard.

"Fine," Haruka mumbles, avoiding eye contact with me. "...I don't think I can be with anyone else without thinking about you because I love you," Haruka repeats and looks up expecting to see a teasing smirk on my face.

"I see," I say with a gentle loving smile and Haruka suddenly covers her face with her hand.

"That smile... I-It's so cute," Haruka silently thinks to herself.

Third Person POV
(Next Day ~ Afternoon)

The next day seemed like a regular practice with the addition of Karasuno's boys' volleyball team joining in for the practice.

One manager with the name of Yukie quietly observes the interactions between the vice captain of Fukurodani's boys' volleyball team and the captain of Fukurodani's girls' volleyball team.

Normally their interactions would involve Akaashi teasing Haruka and Haruka getting easily embarrassed then retorting back. Yet something was different and Yukie knew it.

Haruka's shyness and retorts to Akaashi's teasing... Of course she's still an energetic one, but it was like a girl in love rather than someone who was about to break a wall.