67. Battlefield

Haruka POV
(Day 3 Match ~ Fukurodani vs Morikawa)

The volleyball falls and ends this match with the final score being Fukurodani vs Morikawa 2-0. The first set was 29-27 and the second set was 25-20. The scores were quite close to one another. From this point on, the matches are going to get much more difficult as we continue on.

"The winner of this match is Fukurodani!" The announcer shouts.

"Fukurodani! Clap clap clap ~ clap clap. Fukurodani! Clap clap clap ~ clap clap," The crowd cheers.

We line up and bow our heads. "Thank you for the match!"

Our team heads back to Coach Kaneko who's standing there with a smile on her face.

"Are you getting tired yet Chika?" Coach Kaneko asks as she pats Chika on the back.

"Not anytime soon," Chika chuckles as she grabs her water bottle.

"Good to hear!" Coach Kaneko claps her hands getting our attention and clears her throat.

"Tomorrow, your match will be against Inarizaki High from the Hyogo Prefecture. They're quite a challenging team to be up against since many people in the crowd believe that they have the highest chance in winning this tournament."

Minako clicks her tongue. "They won against us last year in the finals, so a lot of people are hyping them up. Especially because they claim that since Misaki isn't here in this tournament that it's their win." A vein pops on her head. "I hate when people assume such things. Our team is still great even without her."

"That's true. I heard the people around us gossiping about how without Misaki, we won't be able to get far in the tournament," Kata purses her lips.

"So what if they think like that?" I claim. "Volleyball is a team sport. One player doesn't decide what happens in a tournament. Every individual should be taken into account." The tips of my lips turn up. "So let's change the way the crowd thinks. Let's win this tournament and prove them wrong."

"Hahaha, you're pretty funny Haruka!" Mai laughs. "I agree. We've already made it to the quarter-finals and are close to winning now, so why not win the whole thing?"

"Not to mention we're here too," Emiko winks. "We're a new team."

Airi nods her head. "We weren't here when Misaki was captain, so we don't know how the team used to be. But with the team now, I believe we can do it!" Airi pumps her fists.

Chika shrugs. "People have too much free time to be talking about us. If we beat everyone, then it'll shut their mouths."

Everyone blinks surprised by Chika's blunt words and laughs.

"The team is so lively." Coach Kaneko smiles. "Haruka definitely has a positive effect on the team," Coach Kaneko chuckles as she heads out with the girls to the locker room.

Third Person POV

Meanwhile in the stands, Inarizaki High's girls' volleyball team watches the match from start to finish.

"So, I guess Fukurōdani are our future opponents," The setter of Inarizaki High's girls' volleyball team comments with her arms crossed after analyzing Fukurodani's girls' volleyball team win.

"Great, Fukurodani seems like a fun school to play against," The second top girls' volleyball player, Kanon, says with a smirk on her face and gets up from her seat. "It's time for me to meet Haruka."

"Don't do anything crazy Kanon," The captain of the team warns. "If you do, then I'll bring Kita into this. He's the only one who can handle you."

Kanon flinches. "Please don't bring Shin-kun into this. He'll scold me endlessly," Kanon pleads, but then remembers the previous game and a sad smile forms on her face. "Actually, he doesn't have time to bother with me. He has to take care of his own team after their loss against Karasuno."