49. Focus

Haruka POV
(Match ~ Fukurodani vs Itachiyama ~ Set 2)

Score: 1-0

Current score 22-24

I bounce the volleyball as I get ready to serve.

We won the first set, but now in the second set, our opponents are so close to winning that they need only one point to win the set. On the other hand, we need two more points to catch up to them and be in a deuce.

I take in a deep breath then exhale out.

I throw the volleyball in the air and do a jump serve.

Nino receives the volleyball and Chiemi goes into position to toss it. Chiemi sets the ball to Yumi.

Yumi tries to spike through, but Emiko, Airi, and Kata block her.

The volleyball goes around from one team to the other with neither team giving up.

Chika tosses the volleyball to Minako and Minako powerfully spikes the ball down, but Nino dives for it.

"It's up!" Nino shouts.

Chiemi goes into position to toss the ball and my eyes widen when I realize what she is about to do.

I sprint to the net as she dumps the volleyball. I dive down and barely receive it.

"It's up!" I shout, surprising the audience and the opposing team.

Chika immediately sprints into position to the ball and Kata runs to the net. "Kata!" Chika shouts and tosses the ball to her.

Kata spikes the volleyball down and the score changes.

Current score: 23-24

Minako serves the ball and our opponent receives it. Chiemi goes into position and tosses it to their wing spiker.

I receive the ball and Chika tosses it to Minako. Minako spikes it but they receive it and Nino does a libero toss.

I click my tongue when I notice her toss the volleyball to Yukiyo. They're already trying to end this before we can catch up.

Yukiyo smashes the volleyball down, but Mai miraculously saves the ball by a slight rotation.

"Yes!" Our team cheers on Mai.

Chika gets into position and immediately tosses the volleyball to me.

I spike a line shot passing the blockers and we gain a point. The score changes once again.

Current score: 24-24

"Match point. Fukurodani - 24, Itachiyama - 24," The referee announces after we score a point.

My heart starts to race as adrenaline flows through me. We're getting closer to winning this set--

"Don't expect this to be a walk in the park," Chiemi says with a competitive smile.

"Of course I won't, but I'm planning on winning this time," I declare with the two of us staring at each other ready to defeat the other team.

Kata serves the ball and they receive it. Nino goes into position to toss the ball and tosses it to Chiemi. Minako, Airi, and I are all ready to block her.

We block her spike and it goes back to their side. Chiemi clicks her tongue. They receive the ball and Nino quickly goes into position.

Wait, why was she spiking...? My eyes widen. To bring away our attention from--!