48. Lift Off

Haruka POV
(Second day of Spring High Preliminaries)

Current score

Fukurodani v.s. Hachioji

Total: 1-0

Second set: 23-18

"It's up!" Mai shouts and receives the volleyball after our opponent serves it to our side.

Chika immediately gets herself into position ready to set the volleyball.

"Chika, pass it here!" Kata shouts.

Kata sprints over to the end of the court and jumps up. All the blockers follow her ready to block. Kata, knowing this, powerfully spikes the ball at the block and the ball rebounds back.

Airi receives the ball and Chika gets ready to set again. I sprint to the net and jump.

Without a moment of hesitation, Chika passes the ball to me and I spike it down with all my force and we score a point.

"Yes!" Chika and I high five each other.

The score changes to 24-18.

I pump my fist. Only one more point until we win the game and move on to the quarter-finals.

The next server serves the ball and I receive it.

Chika follows the volleyball ready to toss it to someone.

She notices Minako open and tosses the ball to Minako.

Minako spikes the ball, but their libero receives it.

Their setter tosses the volleyball to another spiker who spikes it, but Emiko touches it.

"One touch!" Emiko shouts.

Chika receives the ball and it goes up in the air again.

Mai goes into position ready to do a libero toss.

"One more time!" Minako shouts and I glance over to Mai who has a smirk on her face.

I sweatdrop. I don't even need her to say anything to know what she's thinking. After all, I know that smirk from all the practices I've done with her.

I quickly sprint to the net. I jump up in the air and there was one blocker on me. Mai passes the volleyball to me and I notice a second blocker come in as well but not fast enough.

I immediately cross spike the ball and it zooms past the players and lands on their side of the court.

Their eyes widen, surprised by my spike. Even I'm surprised how better my technique has gotten from before.

When I was with Bokuto, I practiced with him and he taught me all the skills and techniques he knew. From cross spikes, straights, wipes, feints, and cut shots, I practiced just about everything, and combining that with what I knew back from when I used to be in Itachiyama with Sakusa and Komori, I improved drastically.

2-0

...

The referee blows his whistle. "Game goes to Fukurodani!" he announces.

"Yes!" We all cheer.

The other team sadly walks back for their loss, but we cheer for our win.

I glance over at my team and the silly grins on their faces brings a smile to my face.

Today is our second day of the Spring High Preliminaries and we won another match. Yesterday, we won our first volleyball match so we've been on a good streak so far.