44. Declaration

Haruka POV
(Morning Practice)

It's been a few days after telling the boys' and girls' volleyball team about how we were step-siblings. Everyone was shocked and surprised, but the good thing was how they easily accepted it.

Yet honestly, what was more surprising for everyone and I'm pretty sure was more memorable to them was seeing Bokuto's hair down. Ever since then, it feels like Bokuto gained a fan club within the girls volleyball team.

Of course Bokuto didn't notice them... He doesn't really notice anything around him, but Konoha and Komi on the other hand were filled with jealousy.

Even so, the two of them couldn't really do much because Bokuto was their captain and Bokuto himself was so naive of the attention around him that even if they were to do something, he would just innocently go along with it.

I bounce the volleyball on the gym floor and yawn. "Chika, last serve," I tell her and she nods her head.

I throw the volleyball up in the air and smash it. Chika quickly dives for the ball and brings it up in the air. I watch the ball move forward to where the setter would be and clap my hands like a proud teacher.

"Nice," I grin. "I told you that you could get the hang of it after fifteen serves."

Chika sweatdrops. "You're a good teacher, but your serves are insane. I think I was lucky to get that one."

"Really?" I tilt my head confused. "I'm sure you improved," I give her a thumbs up and Chika stares at me with a deadpan look.

"Thanks, but I really do question whether you're a normal human or not," Chika says and I laugh.

"I'll take that as a compliment," I smile and check the time. "Well, practice has come to an end, it's time we clean up so we don't miss class."

The two of us quickly pick up the volleyballs on the ground and put them back into the cart.

Yet after we finish cleaning up, I suddenly feel an intense gaze from Chika. I turn around and she was staring right into my soul. "Chika, if you have something to ask, feel free to ask," I say with my eye slightly twitching from her intense gaze.

"What got you into volleyball?" Chika suddenly asks, surprising me.

"Are you doing a project as well?" I tease.

Chika lets out a laugh. "I'm not. I'm just curious. I mean, you're a top player so of course I wonder what inspired you to be a top player in volleyball."

I awkwardly scratch the back of my neck embarrassed. "I mean, I don't honestly feel like I'm a top player or anything. I'm still learning myself," I admit. "What got you into volleyball?"

"Hey, I asked you the question first," Chika frowns and I twitch.

"Well, I can't give an answer unless you give me an answer. I am your captain after all," I huff.

Chika sighs. "It's nothing too amazing. I'm not like Airi who admired Misaki Hoshina and wanted to play alongside her, nor was I like Emiko who wanted to try out a sport like volleyball."

"...Then what made you want to join?" I ask.

"I heard the volleyball team was in dire need of players so I joined," Chika states. "I had prior experience with volleyball and I assumed Misaki Hoshina was there so I thought it shouldn't be too bad. But I realized that the reason why they were looking for members was because many of them dropped after hearing Misaki transfer schools."

Chika glances at me. "When I saw you, I thought that they got a last minute replacement for her."

A vein pops on my head. "Replacement? I'm not a cheap brand of Misaki Hoshina."