36. Resolution

Haruka POV

Keiji pulls away from me. "--because the girl I love is you."

"...?!" I stand there completely speechless as my face flushes bright red. "W-Why...?" I force myself to ask but I can't calm down with everything happening so fast.

Keiji likes me?! I know I didn't hear wrong, but all the times he teased me and messed around with me... Not to mention he's the one who wanted us to be in a fake relationship and is now saying that he likes me... I'm just getting more confused. "A-Are you joking?"

"... It's not a joke and you already know it's not," Keiji states and turns his head to the side. I couldn't see his face, but his ears were red. "I'm not a man of many words, but... I like you. I have always liked you."

My eyes dilate. No, he's right. I can tell how sincere Keiji was in his confession. I just never expected him to confess to me so straightforwardly and to passionately kiss me.

Keiji awkwardly scratches the back of his neck. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have kissed you without your consent. When I saw you with your friend, I was jealous, but even so, I know that it's not an excuse for what I did. I'm sorry," Keiji apologizes.

He was jealous of Komori? Now that I think about it, I might have been jealous when I saw him with Yukie. I guess we were both feeling the same way. It just took me so long to realize my feelings for him.

It's funny though, how much I gradually got to understand him more over time and slowly fell in love with him. "Keiji I--"

Keiji stops me. "Haruka. You don't have to tell me your feelings now."

My eyes widen. "Eh?"

"It's true that I confessed to you, but I know you're probably in complete shock right now since you didn't expect that. Just give me an answer when everything in your mind settles down," Keiji states and I stare at him completely dumbfounded.

"I'm not in complete shock!" I argue back and Keiji chuckles. I slightly frown. "But don't you want to know my feelings?" I ask.

"I do, but not right now. If anything, all I wanted to do was let you know my feelings for you," Keiji says and gently smiles. "I can wait. Because no matter how much your opinion of me has changed even after this moment, my feelings for you will never change."

"Keiji..." I clutch my heart. He's so unfair. I want to tell him my feelings but I realized if I confessed now, I would sound like I'm trying to go with the flow... It wouldn't be sincere at all.

"Fine, but whatever my answer is to you, promise me that our relationship won't change," I tell him and stick my hand out.

Keiji stares at the hand with slight hesitation but a gentle smile forms on his face. "Promise," he says and firmly shakes my hand.

(One week later - At Fukurodani Academy)

Keiji was right about letting me think about my feelings first before giving him an answer. There were some things that I didn't realize until we got home.

First of all, we told everyone that we were in a relationship. Yes, it was a fake relationship and if our feelings really are mutual then it can become a real relationship. It doesn't sound hard to ignore our previous fake relationship and be in an actual relationship.

Yet we hid the fact that we are step-siblings to everyone. It's true that we aren't related by blood or anything, but if we told them that we're step-siblings and we were in a relationship... How would they react?

How would our parents react? They don't know any of this and I don't know what they would think if they did know about our feelings. What would they think of our relationship together when we're supposed to be a family?