35. Realization

Yukie POV

I happily munch down on my sixth bowl of rice while eating the grilled meat that I cooked.

Akaashi purses his lips as he tries to analyze me, and at the same time trying to ignore just how much food I was eating.

"Yukie, you planned this didn't you?" Akaashi asks me, suspicious of my actions.

I swallow my food and Akaashi flinches seeing how much food I can swallow. "What do you mean?" I ask and Akaashi sighs.

"I see Haruka and her friend are eating here," Akaashi tells me and I nod my head.

"Of course, I was the one who took their orders," I calmly tell him. "But I didn't plan anything. I happened to see you on my break and now I'm eating with you. My treat."

I continue munching on my food and watch Akaashi eat his food, but I notice the uncomfortable look on Akaashi's face as he glances over to Haruka's table.

I swallow my food and look over to Akaashi. "I admit, I did invite you here because I was curious about the relationship of Haruka and the guy she's with b--"

"They're friends. He's the libero on Itachiyama's volleyball team," he answers.

"Oh, I see. You definitely did your research there," I nod my head.

Akaashi frowns. "No, I've seen him before at the Interhigh Preliminaries. He's not a new face or anything."

"And how do you feel about him with Haruka? Jealous?" I ask.

"No, but I've been hearing that a lot," Akaashi answers and I laugh.

"I mean, you say that you're not, but it's written all over your face that you're jealous," I state and Akaashi's eyes widen. "I'm joking, you're not that obvious, but I notice the small glances that you're making over at the other table." I wink.

"Yukie... I always knew you were an observant person," Akaashi admits.

"Of course, I'm the volleyball manager," I tell him with a satisfied smile.

I clear my throat. "Actually, that's also why I invited you today. There's one more thing I need to talk about and I know it's early to think about, but I just want you to know... No, you might already know, but when the third years graduate you will automatically be captain for the team," I tell him in a serious tone.

"I know," Akaashi calmly answers.

I smile. "No surprise, huh? Makes sense. You're technically captain already."

"More like a babysitter," Akaashi sighs.

A sad smile forms on my face that Akaashi doesn't notice.

Akaashi, do you not realize it or are you trying to hide from the truth?

After the Spring High Tournament, whether they win or lose, they will all graduate and leave the team to move on to a university. All the third years including me.

I play with the straw in my cup and stare at Akaashi.

He's a smart guy, the brains of the team that holds them together. It's because of that that he might not realize how emotionally attached he is to the team and especially Bokuto...

It may seem like there's still a lot of time before graduating high school, but time goes by fast. I already realized that, and when the Spring Tournament ends, that is when we will have to face reality.

A majority of the team will be gone and off to college, leaving Akaashi there and watching them go.

The tips of my lips turn up. "Akaashi, eat more! It's my treat," I tell him and pat him on the back.