40. BBQ!

Keiji POV
(Lunch time ~ BBQ)

"Bokuto is as hungry as ever, isn't he Akaashi?" Komi jokingly says and I sigh as I look over at Bokuto drooling over the food with Hinata.

"He is. I just hope he doesn't go around snatching other people's food," I state and Komi sweatdrops.

"Such a worried parent," Komi teases and I frown.

"So I guess even the ever energetic Bokuto can fall into a slump sometimes," Someone comments from behind me.

"...?" I turn around to see Tsukishima looking over to Bokuto and Hinata craving for the meat on the grill.

"Ah, yeah. There are times when he'll suddenly implode for who knows what reason, but he never gets down over a team being better than us, so it's not as bad as you think," I answer as I fiddle with my fingers. "Even when the rest of the team is on the verge of breaking, he's still got enough spirit to keep the rest of us up. In the end, it all evens out somehow and makes him pretty dependable."

"I see," Tsukishima mumbles and glances over to me. "Do you play with your fingers a lot?" Tsukishima questions as he observes me fiddle with my fingers.

(The past ~ Nine years ago)

"Kei-kun, why do you always play with your fingers?" Haruka asks as she notices me fiddle with my fingers.

"I don't know," I answer confused. "I never noticed I played with my fingers. I guess it's a habit."

"I see!" Haruka says surprised and grins. "I guess that means I know more about you than you do yourself!"

I tilt my head confused.

"Wait! If I know more about you, then you should get to know more about me. We're friends after all, we have to get to know more about each other," Haruka happily points to herself and I blush.

"Okay..." I answer with a small smile.

(Back to reality)

"Akaashi-san?" Tsukishima tilts his head confused by my silence.

A small smile forms on my face as I recall an old memory. "It's a small habit I guess."

Tsukishima stares at me confused but takes that as an answer.

"Ahem," Nekoma's coach clears his throat.

He surveys the crowd to see if he got everyone's attention, but everyone was looking at the food.

"Ahem!" Nekoma's coach clears his throat again and everyone wakes from their food trance and they turn to him.

"You have all worked hard over this week-long training camp," Nekoma's coach announces to us. "Your hunger will make this food taste all the more delicious. Go ahead and mend your muscles to your heart's content!" He crosses his arms with a grin.

"Thanks for the food!" The boys shout and start to attack the food like wild, hungry animals.

I sweatdrop. Maybe it's best to wait for the others to get food. I don't want to go through that mob of people.

Haruka POV

After a long morning of practice matches, it was the start of a full on BBQ. There were people from different schools happily talking to one another and others waiting to get their hands on some delicious BBQ meat.

I, on the other hand, was helping the managers set up everything since I felt like a guest here to begin with.

"Thanks again for helping Haruka," Mako, Shinzen's manager, grins.