2

"Where the hell have you been, brother?!" Elijah began loudly, resulting in an immediate glare and shush from Klaus.

When he saw what his younger brother was carrying in his arms, his eyes widened in shock and outrage.

"Niklaus!" He hissed, taking long strides across the room over to his brother. "Of all your schemes, lies, and plots, never have I once suspected that you would stoop so low as to steal a baby. This city is littered with law enforcement, and you will be caught, so I suggest that you― "

"Now is not the time for your accusations, brother," Klaus barked back, looking up from little Darla's sleeping face for a minute. "I didn't steal her. I found her."

Elijah's eyebrows furrowed in confusion at his brother's words, stepping closer to get a better look at the child in Klaus' arms.

"She mustn't even be a day old..." Elijah whispered in confusion. "Where on earth did you 'find her'?"

"She was abandoned in an alley, Elijah," he responded truthfully. "Someone had left her to die all alone in the dark, cold night. I couldn't leave her there, surely you would have done the same."

The dark haired Original nodded, suddenly becoming more understanding about the situation at hand. It wasn't a secret that the Mikaelsons all had a soft spot for children, seeing as none of them could have any themselves, but it was times like these that truly showcased how much they actually cared for them.

"Do you know anything about her, brother?" He asked.

"Only that her name is Darla." The Hybrid responded.

There was a silence between the two, both just staring at the miracle child whilst she slept peacefully.

"What do you plan on doing next, then?"

Klaus looked up and into his brother's eyes, showing determination in his own.

"We raise her as our own." He answered. "She shall stay here, with us. Grow up in a loving home. Make sure that she is always safe and taken care of, whatever the price. Ensure that she is happy, healthy, well educated, and never abandoned again. That is what we shall do, brother."

"Are you sure that this is the best decision?" Elijah asked again, already showing compassion for the child. "We have many enemies, Niklaus. And although they can never kill us, they can kill her. What if we end up being more harmful than good to her in her lifetime?"

"We won't let that happen." He decided. "We will protect her with our immortal lives. Darla is to come to no harm, brother. I feel that that is something that we can both agree to."

Elijah nodded in agreement and looked down at the sleeping infant.

"Well, Darla Mikaelson," he smiled. "Welcome to the family."

"Darla Mikaelson," Klaus smiled softly. "Has a nice ring to it, no?"

"Yes, but I can't feel as if there's something missing," Elijah mused. "A second name of sorts."

Klaus nodded in agreement and let the silence take over them before finally speaking.

"Darla Hope Mikaelson." He spoke softly looking at his brother who's eyes held a certain sadness. "As she is our family's newest and greatest hope."

"Darla Hope Mikaelson..." Elijah whispered, reaching over and stroking her pale cheek. "She's lovely."

"Indeed she is, brother," Klaus smiled softly. "Indeed she is."

So the brothers stayed like that for a while, just looking down at the sleeping child in complete adoration.

"...Just wait until Rebekah gets a hold of her..." Elijah spoke after a while, laughing a little.

"Please, brother," Klaus said, exasperated. "I would like to enjoy this moment with her before Rebekah comes and rips her out from my arms."

"You know once she has her she's not going to give her back so easily."

"Don't remind me," Klaus chuckled, holding the child as he walked up the stairs with Darla in his arms. "Goodnight, brother."

"Goodnight, Niklaus," Elijah smiled faintly. "You too, Little Darla."