13

"So who is this Casanova you're going out to dinner with again?" Klaus asked teasingly whilst feeding his baby.

"He is not a Casanova, Nik," Rebekah rolled her eyes, putting on a pair of earrings. "His name is Ryan, he's got two boys―"

"Going for the married man, hmm?"

"Going for the widower," she chuckled. "And to his knowledge, I am a single mother looking for somebody to fill the shoes in which my deadbeat ex-husband left."

"Well you better get that straight, sister," Klaus chuckled, looking down at Darla with loving eyes. "Because I can assure you, the roll of single parent is already filled."

"And I can assure you, Niklaus, you are hardly living the struggles of a single parent with your... well, let's just say your attachments to family and your privilege." Elijah chimed in upon hearing the ridiculous conversation.

"If I am a father, and I am not occupied in some romantic relationship, then I am a single father." Klaus replied, burping Darla lightly.

"Brothers, please," Rebekah rolled her eyes. "I am trying to go on a date with a very handsome man, who is not intimidated by children in the household."

"Now all he has to do is get past our raging vampirism and homicidal ― dare I say sometimes genocidal ― tendencies." Elijah quipped.

"You failed to mention overprotective brothers who are very familiar around torture and methods of such." Klaus finished with a smile.

"Da!" Darla giggled at her father's voice. "Dada!"

"Yes, Darling," Klaus cooed. "And one day, when you bring home a special boy or girl, daddy will make sure they treat you with the up most respect and love, or else he will snap their necks within an instant!"

"Now, now, Nik," Elijah chuckled. "Violence is not good for a baby's development."

"What she doesn't understand won't hurt her."

"Ah, yes, but she will pick up on it eventually. Might as well kill a habit before it started."

"Well, as much fun as this little spat has been, I have a hot date for myself." Rebekah smiled, grabbing her clutch and planting a kiss on the cheeks of her beloved brothers and upon the head of her precious niece. "Don't wait up!"

"Oh, we won't."

So Rebekah left and Elijah went outside, mentioning something about some business to attend to, leaving Klaus be with his child.

"And then there were two." He whispered softly with a chuckle. "And how was your day, hmm?"

"Good!" She said with a clap.

"Well I'm glad to hear that." He chuckled, kissing her on the head lightly. "Mine was lovely too. I got to spend it with my baby girl. Although you are growing up very fast. A little too fast for my liking."

Darla just babbled in response, giggling and clapping her tiny hands as she always did. She was probably the happiest baby he'd ever seen.

"Come on, Darla," he smiled. "Would you like a bed time story?"

Darla just smiled and clapped again, making her father grin like a fool. Seeing her happy made him happy, and a happy Klaus Mikaelson was the best Klaus Mikaelson to have, if you valued your personal safety.

He walked up the stairs and get her ready for bed before setting her down in her crib and sitting himself down in his rocking chair.

"Once upon a time," Klaus began with a small smile, looking down at his baby girl. "There was a wolf king who fought a war for the most beautiful treasure in all of the kingdom ― his beautiful, little princess. But victory came at a price. Allies lost. New enemies made. And so the wolf king stood alone. Happily ever after it was not, but sometimes, even the worst endings are not really endings at all. And you should know, my littlest wolf, that even when all seems burnt to ash, in our story, there is always another chapter to be told."

n// i am aware that darla is human af but "littlest wolf" sounds so much better than anything else sorry not sorry lololol