44

n// i have written and rewritten this chapter so many times yall literally dont know i just wanted this chapter to be good and complex and complete and wholesome yet challenging and something else i cant even put my finger on so yeah thats why its so damn long and basically took me ages so you better appreciate it, hoes. its really klaus-centric because tbh i feel like my bitch darla is annoying all of us rn lolololol so without further adieu heres the chapter!! enjoy :)

Darla was heartbroken.

It'd been a few days since the fight, and she was still a mess about it. The Mikaelson house, for once, was silent. There was no laughter, no bickering, no stories being told around the fireplace, nothing. There was just a tension that settled over the residence like a thick fog, choking everyone. Darla hadn't really left her room since it happened, only leaving for school, bathroom breaks, and food, basically. She hadn't spoken to her father at all in those days. Or anyone, really. She was distant. Not even Kit, her sweetheart and the first boy she'd ever felt this strongly for, could get through to her. She wasn't in the mood for talking. In fact, she wasn't in the mood for anything, really. All she could think about was that stupid fight.

Her birth father, the man that she was denied access to her entire life, the man that she never got to know, the man who had been deprived of her just as she'd been deprived of him, was being torn away right before she could even fully grasp him. He's been snatched away before she'd even had the chance to fathom the fact that he was there to begin with. And she still couldn't fathom it. She couldn't bring herself to talk to him, either. Knowing that she was forbidden from having any relationship with him at all kind of ruined that for her. All she could bring herself to do without much effort was wallow in self pity and cry herself to sleep. And, so, she did just that.

As for Klaus, he was doing what he usually did during times like these: he drank.

Klaus had had his heart broken before — no doubt about it. He'd had many heart wrenching, soul sucking moments in his life, but none of them even compared to what he'd been through. After everything that he and Darla had been through, all the sleepless nights, all the time spent away from each other, all the buildup to their reunion, their bonding time, the times where he loved her unconditionally, was just... swept away by some new man that claimed to be her father. It wasn't fair. How could Darla, knowing the man for all of a few hours (tops), just forget about him like that?

"Nik," A voice called out from the doorway, only to be ignored. "Niklaus."

Klaus said nothing, just continued to stare into his drink, thinking about the altercation that he and his beloved Darla Hope had had.

"I know you can hear me, you old sod," The person sighed, walking into the room and sitting beside him.

"I'm not in the mood, Rebekah."

"Yeah? Well, I'm not sure anyone is." She stated with a sigh. "I heard what happened."

"You? Eavesdropping? Groundbreaking."

Rebekah rolled her eyes and ignored her brother's retorts, knowing that he wasn't doing it out of malice, but instead hurt.

"Darla didn't mean it."

"Really? Sure sounded like she did."

"I'm serious, Nik," She stated, turning to face him in a more direct way. "I'm tired of this noose that's hanging around everyone's necks in this house all because you and Darla had a little argument. She isn't talking, you're not talking, Elijah's been staying the night at Hayley's more and more often, Kol is going mad, and I, for one, am sick of it. That little girl loves you more than anything, and that's a fact."